SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-09-18, 02:58 PM   #1
pwillikers

Default ABS Defeat Switch

Please eschew your impulse to harass me because I have the desire to ride without ABS from time to time.

My SV650AK8 E-03 doesn't have the facility to shut off its ABS without removing the seat to access and remove the two ABS fuses. My intent is to install an ABS on/off switch on the dash.

I have reviewed the wiring diagram and see that the "ABS Control Unit" receives power from three sources, the two aforementioned dedicated 40A and 25A ABS fuses, which I'd prefer to leave unmolested, and more interestingly, the "Fuse Box", fuse #3. Fuse #3 is shared between the "ABS Control Unit" and the "Relay Box" so I'll have to insert the "ABS on/off switch" (in the orange/yellow wire) downstream of where it splits off to the "Relay Box" as to not interfere with power supplied to the "Relay Box".

Prior to hacking into the bundled wire loom, I wanted to ask if any of you have pursued this modification and found it successful? And, hope against hope, will the existing "ABS" dash light light up if the ABS on/off switch, wired as suggested above, is in the "off" position? Wouldn't that be nice?

Thanks, Paul.

Link to wiring diagram:https://photos.app.goo.gl/Gs43MiyWHRB6DV147

Old 06-09-18, 04:18 PM   #2
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: ABS Defeat Switch

I don't know the answer to your question but here's a question that might lead you to a different solution. If the ABS doesn't see one of the wheel sensors it flags the ABS light but does it also disable the ABS system? If it does you could put a switch inline with one of the sensors. As a test you could pull the rear ABS sensor out of its holder, go for a quick ride and see if you can lock the rear wheel (since I can't say: "don't try this at home", I'll go with: "be careful if you try it").

Here's how someone did it the technical way on a (US) Vstrom:
https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,8792.0.html
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-18, 10:28 PM   #3
Talking Heads

Another way, start bike and allow to warm up.
Place copious amounts of washing up liquid under the rear tyre.
Sit on bike and kick sidestand up.
Pull front brake on as hard as you can.
Rev the nads off it and dump the clutch.
All being well the front wheel will not move and the rear will spin up.
This disparity between wheel rotation speeds will confuse the **** out of the ABS computer and the ABS will not switch itsself on.

Some bikes have ABS on/off switches, so don't see why not.
Apart from its really daft.

Be sure and let your insurer know.....
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-18, 11:39 PM   #4
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

I'm intrigued, having ridden bikes with and without ABS I have my own views on the technology...

But what is your reason for wanting to do this?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-18, 10:36 AM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
I'm intrigued, having ridden bikes with and without ABS I have my own views on the technology...

But what is your reason for wanting to do this?
+1

there is never any reason to turn off ABS. turning it off dont make you ride any faster round a track, in fact you will ride quicker with it on.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-18, 10:42 AM   #6
Seeker
Mega Poster

Here we go again. He asked a question not for an opinion, we all have plenty of those. Presumably he has his reasons which I don't want to second guess.
I actually posted this in a "gripe of the day" - If I ask a question, answer it first then tell me I'm an idiot for wanting to do it but at least I will have learned something other than your opinion. Rant over.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-18, 09:09 AM   #7
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Will it affect insurance if you deliberately disable a safety feature ?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-18, 04:56 AM   #8
andy650

It will affect insurance.

If I was minded to disable ABS, I would probably go for the fuses. Replace them with spade connectors & tails, which go off to your own fuse and switch system.

Strange idea though, I'd love to know why.
andy650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-18, 06:44 AM   #9
glang

I believe theres some riders out there who are so good they can control braking better than an ABS system.....
glang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-18, 11:35 AM   #10
Talking Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
I believe theres some riders out there who are so good they can control braking better than an ABS system.....

Nope, not a single human alive on the face of the earth is able to do what ABS can do.
ABS can decide to hold or release the brakes fifteen times per second.
A human can't.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote