SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-06-06, 06:52 AM   #1
ZQ8Dude

Default whats your take on hyosung?

I really like the looks of that GT650r and it looks like mods are starting to come out for it. You can now get a pipe for them.

just curious on your guys opinions?

The cheap pricing is so tempting heh
Old 08-06-06, 07:11 AM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

I think they may have something to offer, as yet I'm not sure if the price differential is great enough to go with Hyosung over a proven product such as a Jap bike, but all the same the bike is rather better than many give it credit for. And let's not forget what happened when The Japanese bikes first showed up - sound familiar?

However there will soon be 500 posts from SV owners telling you that it can't be any good 'cos it's not an SV:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sheep
SV Good - all else Baaaaaad (repeat ad nauseum)
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-06, 07:37 AM   #3
Peter Henry

I think Sir Sid is right. If the price diferential between the Hyosung and the SV is sufficient, then it has to be an alternative for those working to a budget.
Old 08-06-06, 07:39 AM   #4
Viney
Mega Poster

Listen to the squid he knows...eeeeeeverything

My only concern would be spares, but other than that, why not give it a go.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-06, 07:59 AM   #5
creamerybutter

Isn't that the one with an SV engine?

The only concern I would have with these companies is the company could go bust and getting parts could be an **** like what happed to a collegue of mine but Hoysung are one of the bigger ones so that shouldn't really be a problem.
Old 08-06-06, 09:21 AM   #6
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Henry
I think Sir Sid is right. If the price diferential between the Hyosung and the SV is sufficient, then it has to be an alternative for those working to a budget.
^ Wot him and Sid Squid said.

At the moment, unless you really like the looks, or really want to be different, there's little incenctive to buy an "untested" bike like that rather than the SV. If the price was £3K new, it'd be a different situation entirely.
Old 08-06-06, 09:22 AM   #7
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamerybutter

The only concern I would have with these companies is the company could go bust and getting parts could be an @rse like what happed to a collegue of mine but Hoysung are one of the bigger ones so that shouldn't really be a problem.
I believe it's a clone of an SV engine, I don't think it's actually a Suzuki engine in it.
Old 08-06-06, 09:54 AM   #8
Stormspiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC
Quote:
Originally Posted by creamerybutter

The only concern I would have with these companies is the company could go bust and getting parts could be an @rse like what happed to a collegue of mine but Hoysung are one of the bigger ones so that shouldn't really be a problem.
I believe it's a clone of an SV engine, I don't think it's actually a Suzuki engine in it.
Your right, The Gt 650 is an Sv650 clone engine, The XRX125 is a DR125 clone engine, The RT125 is a Van Van Clone ... etc. etc. They're all clone suzuki Engines .
Old 08-06-06, 10:11 AM   #9
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I can only speak with experience about the Hyosung 125 which my son had.It was a cheap and competant bike but there were some major faults.It had really poor brakes,and it ripped through chains and brake pads (and a disc)at an alarming rate.Spares are hard to get and expensive,and you will need spares.We are used to saying SVs are built "down to a price"but Hyosungs are built down to an even lower price and it shows when you own one.For me the price difference would need to be much greater to make up for the extra expenses and hassles of running one.
Old 08-06-06, 10:14 AM   #10
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles
I can only speak with experience about the Hyosung 125 which my son had.It was a cheap and competant bike but there were some major faults.It had really poor brakes,and it ripped through chains and brake pads (and a disc)at an alarming rate.Spares are hard to get and expensive,and you will need spares.We are used to saying SVs are built "down to a price"but Hyosungs are built down to an even lower price and it shows when you own one.For me the price difference would need to be much greater to make up for the extra expenses and hassles of running one.
So all thie things really that where said aabout early Jap bikes
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote