SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 31-01-09, 11:38 AM   #21
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Default Re: Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartwrim View Post
Couldn't resist what? I don't get it?! Why would I want more stress in my life?
I couldn't couldn't resist 'poking your embers' because I couldn't understand why you(or anyone) would be bugged by threads titled 'FAO of X/Y&Z' if you had enough stress flowing through your veins. Ergo that bug wouldn't exist in your 'room of bugs' if you did

Following on, I remember posting a thread titled 'FAO of TLW' . If memory serves me right, it was a video of a Supermoto in action. A nice vid which could have been posted without the 'FAO of...' but TLW came to mind when I saw it, as he loves his supermotos(and had posted a few vids himself)....so because I could, I decided to tile the thread as such.

I can think of a number of other reasons(some already been stated by) why other other folks might give a thread a certain title...one being, it would/should possibly bring about some pointless drivel/drizzle from certain quarters. Should it bug me? Nope, I just smile and think "Ah!!! More shoite....c'est le T'internet"

HTH

Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us

Last edited by 21QUEST; 31-01-09 at 11:41 AM.
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-09, 11:40 AM   #22
Ed

Quote:
Something that bugs me in Idle Banter are the threads titled 'For X' or 'Oi, X' trying to get soneones attention- isn't that what PM is for?!
...like the thread I started yesterday, or was it the day before, 'Oi!!! Thingus!!!' designed to wish well for impending bike test. True, I could have sent a PM - but then nobody else would have known about it, and the whole point was to publish it.

What's the problem with that? Exactly what IB was designed for, no?

If we only spoke when we could improve the silence, the world would be a very quiet place

Last edited by Ed; 31-01-09 at 11:42 AM.
Old 31-01-09, 11:43 AM   #23
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21QUEST View Post
I can think of a number of other reasons(some already been stated by) why other other folks might give a thread a certain title...
I recently posted a "FAO" thread too. In my case it was "FAO Anna."

The main bulk of the OP in that thread was to give Filipe a review of some software he'd mentioned to me, and given that Anna is his better half, I knew the thread title would attract his attention.

He also solved a problem of mine, without knowing he had done so, so I figured a public message of thanks was a good thing.

Sorry if I caused offence or added to anyone's stress.
Old 31-01-09, 11:45 AM   #24
Jabba

Quote:
There's your answer, thank you!
Selective quoting? You must be either a journalist or a politician.

This thread's already on to three pages......
Old 31-01-09, 11:51 AM   #25
21QUEST
Mega Poster

....because I'm sometimes easily pleased
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
...snip...

If we only spoke when we could improve the silence, the world would be a very quiet place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
...snip....

Sorry if I caused offence or added to anyone's stress.

Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-09, 12:59 PM   #26
Kinvig

Seems the same amount as before. I've never posted on the mega-thread. I just don't "get it"!
Old 31-01-09, 03:03 PM   #27
K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinvig View Post
Seems the same amount as before. I've never posted on the mega-thread. I just don't "get it"!
"You were not put on this earth to 'Get It' Mr Burton."
Old 31-01-09, 04:14 PM   #28
mike_avfc

doesn't bother me at all ! i think it's quite healthy and people seem to genuinely know and help each other on this forum.
Old 31-01-09, 04:22 PM   #29
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post

It's called Idle Banter for a reason. Don't like it? Don't come here
+1, you choose to look in the section, what do you expect? It's mainly the IB section which makes the org what it is, where people can share opinions on topics other than bikes and generally have a laugh and poke fun at each other. It is healthy and if random chat didn't happen the world/org wouldn't be the same.

Or are those complaining secretly having a dig at those who don't ride and mainly come on for the people? I, for example, am one of those (not that I'm taking it personally ) but that doesn't mean I don't scroll through most of the constructive threads and find them interesting, I just wouldn't have much to contribute that someone more knowledgeable wouldn't have said anyway

Deal with it, life's too short.
Old 31-01-09, 05:41 PM   #30
phil24_7
Mega Poster

In case anyone hadn't noticed. I'm a fan of MOST of the pointless inane drivel in IB, I generally though it was all banter and therefore IB was the perfect place for it (it only sems to happen in here!). I have noticed that on occasion, threads go WAY off topic, but it's to be expected with the amount of characters we have on the org, and as long as it doesn't happen in every thread then it's fine by me.

I too don't get the mega-thread, it's WAY to random and your have to live in there to understand what's going on!

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote