SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 31-01-09, 05:43 PM   #31
Alpinestarhero

Default Re: Chat

Hi dan

will you be my (almost) neighbour again at AR09?

I do beleive we never resolved the issue surrounding my topbox and your whale of a bike
Old 31-01-09, 06:17 PM   #32
Balky001
Mega Poster

I like the chatty threads, they do usually have a specific point or topic unlike megathread which I'm sure is usually used by the same people. The derails may be another topic, where people run a thread for 20 pages but I'd prefer that than just a Q&A thread
Old 31-01-09, 06:26 PM   #33
Dappa D

i chat a lot of tripe on here...but keep it to the Idle banter section...as its idle and most of the time banter....stick with trying to help as and where i can in the issues and tech sections....
Old 31-01-09, 06:31 PM   #34
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappa D View Post
i chat a lot of tripe on here...but keep it to the Idle banter section...as its idle and most of the time banter....stick with trying to help as and where i can in the issues and tech sections....
+1 ....dappa knows what's going down booo ya.

What's everyone having for tea tonight?

Back on topic though, if there was a chat thing, I'd probably be in it right now. I'm waiting for my chilli con carne to cook whilst having a nice beer and arsing about on the forums. A bit of realtime IM might lead to alsorts of funny comments and more interaction maybe. If not, it'd probably just be an IRC based chat room with me idling all the time

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-09, 06:33 PM   #35
madness

I've got no issue with chat, as long as it's posted in the correct place. However, I don't think any of the forums should be used for one to one chat, that can be done via personal messaging.

To be honest, I find the posts in 'Idle Banter' just as interesting as post in any other section, and they are a lot more amusing.

I used to be on a car forum, and people took issue with this sort of thread. Due to lots of slagging off by sad people who only wanted to read about cars, these types of post got less and so did the interest in the forum. Lots of people left the forum and now it's sh*te!

You don't have to read these threads if you don't want to.
Old 31-01-09, 06:35 PM   #36
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
I used to be on a car forum, and people took issue with this sort of thread. Due to lots of slagging off by sad people who only wanted to read about cars, these types of post got less and so did the interest in the forum. Lots of people left the forum and now it's sh*te!
I signed upto pistonheads earlier this week and I thought the same?

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-09, 06:38 PM   #37
Baph

There is another aspect of this that I've just thought of.

I remember a while back (almost two years now probably), a number of folk drew the conclusion that post count equated to knowledge. I suppose their conclusion was that if you post a lot, then you must be answering a lot of questions & helping people out.

IMO, that's the wrong conclusion to make. The post count is just that, a count of how many posts you've made. It's no indication as to how helpful someone has been (or not been). Other forums have a ratings system so users can rate each other (in terms of helpfulness etc, not attractiveness!! Although.... ).
Old 31-01-09, 06:47 PM   #38
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

We could fix that by making posts made in idle banter not count towards the post count, so only posts made in the serious sections of the forum counted...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-09, 06:50 PM   #39
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
We could fix that by making posts made in idle banter not count towards the post count, so only posts made in the serious sections of the forum counted...
But then more random posts would be posted outside of IB just to up post counts?
Old 31-01-09, 06:50 PM   #40
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
If it aint broken....

Fizz, you guys get stressed enough with this place at times, do you really want a million & 3 people using the forum help section to ask "When I post in IB, why doesn't my post count go up?"