SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-10-09, 02:47 AM   #1
wayniac

Default Naked Curvy with RWU GSXR 600 forks?

I hate to be "that guy" but I have been searching for some time now and am at wits' end. A while back, there was an image posted of a black G1 naked SV with right way up forks like the 01-03 GSXR 600--like an idiot, I failed to subscribe to the thread for later reference. For the life of me, I can't find that image. Any help? Thanks from across the pond.

Last edited by wayniac; 14-10-09 at 08:32 AM.
Old 14-10-09, 09:37 AM   #2
Alpinestarhero

Default Re: Naked Curvy with RWU GSXR 600 forks?

Sounds like it could be yorkie chris's bike?

[edit] he uses the SRAD GSXR600 forks. Are you interested in the fork conversion?

Last edited by Alpinestarhero; 14-10-09 at 09:39 AM.
Old 14-10-09, 09:54 AM   #3
wayniac

I was thinking that too, but couldn't find any pics of it in his profile. IIRC, the thread which contained the pics mentioned that the rider had gotten them for a song and liked the 'stealth' look of the RWU forks over the USD forks because they matched the feel of the bike better.

I am interested in the fork conversion, but mainly because there is a set on ebay outside Chicago that is getting ready to go off for $100US, provided no one bids on it at the last minute.

I'm currently using RaceTech Gold Valve emulators with .85kg springs in 20wt oil, so if the GSXR forks are far better than my current setup, I would like to have the added adjustability over the emu's. And I would probably be able to sell the emu's and springs on svrider.com and recoup a portion of the cost.

Apologies for the long-winded answer, but as already noted, I am "that guy".
Old 14-10-09, 10:02 AM   #4
Alpinestarhero

lol long winded answers are great, better to have too much info as opposed to not enough. I can't comment on if a straight fork conversion will be better then emulators, but I do know that providing you can get the modified head-race bearings (twin works factory do them I think?) the swap is really quite easy. Many people have a problem getting the speedo drive to work, but YC recommends hall-effect magnets.

I too like the idea of doing the RWU fork conversion, to retain the original looks of the SV and not make it look like an SV trying to be a TL1000S

What about your rear shock, have you done anything there?
Old 14-10-09, 10:54 AM   #5
NielSV650

Hi,

I can't really help with your question as I'm asking the same ones
I have a 99 SV650N - rebuilt to a Duc-a-like, and i recently bought a Gixx600 RWU fork I'd like to fit.
I have a few issues:
Which bearing to use in the steering stem? I'm think tapered, but for which model? SV, GSX-R or total different?
Which rim to choose if I wan't to maintain the curvy look of the rear rim? TL, SRAD or Hayabusa?
The length of the fork is a bit short. I'm planning on using a 70-profile tyre and maybe making my own upper tripple clamp. Any experiences on that note?

Keep the rubberside down,
Niels
Denmark
Old 14-10-09, 11:07 PM   #6
wayniac

I've noticed that the USD conversion is very well documented on this site as well as www.svrider.com but there is very little info available for the RWU forks. I'm not even 100% sure yet that the head bearing from Twin Works Factory will work with the RWU triples. About 90% sure, but you know how that goes From what I've seen, the Hall effect sensor is indeed the way to go, mounted to the fork leg with magnets in/on the brake disk.

As for the rear shock, I fitted an Ohlins SU852 remote res shock about 1500 miles ago and it is the biz. The stocker was like riding a 50 year old pogostick by comparison.

Niels--As I mentioned, I'm afraid I don't have much information on the RWU conversion because no one here in the US seems to go for that one. I would check with Zoran over at TWF. He should be able to tell you if you if his bearing kit will fit, if are unable to locate the needed information by searching the boards.

Last edited by wayniac; 14-10-09 at 11:09 PM.
Old 14-10-09, 11:35 PM   #7
zadar

only difference between that fork and same year USD is in look and triples have smaller holes where fork legs go. rest is same, same wheel, same fender, same brakes, same basic cartridge inside, same bearing from TWF to mount it....etc.
all the sv's on this page that don't have USD forks are equipped with RWU 01-03gsxr forks.
http://twfracing.com/gallery.html

Last edited by zadar; 14-10-09 at 11:43 PM.
Old 16-10-09, 11:31 AM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NielSV650 View Post
I have a few issues:
Which bearing to use in the steering stem? I'm think tapered, but for which model? SV, GSX-R or total different?

Which rim to choose if I wan't to maintain the curvy look of the rear rim? TL, SRAD or Hayabusa?

The length of the fork is a bit short. I'm planning on using a 70-profile tyre and maybe making my own upper tripple clamp. Any experiences on that note?
Upper bearing you need is TWF one, this has a 30mm hole in the middle which will suit any late model part (SRAD, busa, TL, later gixxers).
OEM size of bearing to suit these later bikes will not fit in the top as the hole in the frame is too small. (top bearing OD is 47mm, bottom bearing OD is 55mm)

Bottom bearing is same throughout so you can use one from any. I would use koyo or NTN.

TL, SRAD and hayabusa use same wheel.

I'd say leave the fork length alone until you have ridden it, I don't think you will have a problem with the slightly quicker steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayniac View Post
I'm not even 100% sure yet that the head bearing from Twin Works Factory will work with the RWU triples.
Yes it will fit.
(It works a treat with the 600-SRAD triples, and they use same bearings as K1-K3)
Old 16-10-09, 09:26 PM   #9
wayniac

Thanks Chris, that's good stuff to know. I've been doing a lot of reading on this conversion to try and determine if the effort is really worth the pay off. Don't get me wrong, I love a technical challenge and have enough of a mechanical/electrical background to make a swap work correctly and safely, but I keep wondering how the GSXR forks compare to my current setup with the RT emu's and springs? I do cringe when thinking about the day I need to adjust the emu's though. How nice it would be to make adjustments without having to open the fork tubes.

Are you still running the GSXR forks? If so, what do you like/dislike about the setup?
Old 17-10-09, 10:10 AM   #10
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I like the fact that they're cartridge internals, and when I get my shiny new shock delivered I can valve them to suit. I like the huuuuge brake rotors and 4 pots that mean you can loft the back wheel at over the ton. I like the fact that they're shorter than stock meaning it turns a bit quicker.

I dislike the fact that the oil needs changing. 10k miles and they're not as crisp as they could be.

Emulators are good but they're nowhere near the level of adjustability that a proper cartridge is.

P.S even on your "fully adjustable" shock the clickers you have only fine tune the damping. To make big adjustments to forks you still need to open cartridge (but adjustments that major you could not even do to the emulators)

Last edited by yorkie_chris; 17-10-09 at 10:11 AM.
yorkie_chris is offline   Reply With Quote