SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-06-07, 04:51 PM   #1
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Default Throttle bodies???On a Raptor

ok not an SV question but me mans Raptor thou is ill. Does anyone know what to do with these things. Fuel injection is a new experience for him and he's scratching his head. He can pretty much do owt with a bike.. WITH CARBS!!
It sounds like a bag of spanners on tick over, the front cylinder isn't getting as warm as the other so it runs like a bag of poo .. He's done all the usual spark plug tricks etc. Just left his house...before I had a hammer thrown at me!!
He says its throttle bodies need balancing and something about the sensors. but doesn't really where to start.
Anyone had one? anyone help? anyone done this themselves??

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-07, 04:54 PM   #2
barmy.biker

Default Re: Throttle bodies???On a Raptor

the cagiva raptor thous got the same lump as a sv1000
Old 19-06-07, 06:17 PM   #3
Dan

The balancing instructions for the SV650/SV1000 as found in the SV manuals on the main site should be pretty much the same for the R1000. Definitely worth a go. If he can balance carbs he can do TBs, they're basically the same animal.

Balanced the TBs on my 650 when it was running rough and made a big difference... same story with the carbs on my ZX7, it's like a different bike now - although a lot more work with 4 carbs!
Old 20-06-07, 08:57 AM   #4
Baph

Assuming that it's getting the same airflow to the front (ie, something hasn't fallen in the hole - nightmare that, and it's not using a RAM air system), then you'd have to assume that the injector isn't squirting enough juice into the front cylinder as it's not getting as hot.

Personally, I'd get my hands on a Colortune (from Morgan). Spark plug that will let you see the colour of the flame for air/fuel testing on the cheap. Marvellous things, but alas, I don't own one myself. Once you know that the mix is right you can worry about other things.

You want the amount of fuel being the same going to each cylinder (Colortune is excellent at this as it'll tell you the intensity of the burn as well as the A/F mix). Once that you're sure enough jungle juice is flowing, balance throttle bodies (as said before, same as balancing carbs but usually easier - no idea about the raptor though).

It does sound like the throttle bodies are out of sync, my SV sounds like a bag of spanners even when it's slightly out (or it does to me anyway). Sounds like the engine is racing when it's setup right though (even though the rev counter says it's not).
Old 20-06-07, 09:04 AM   #5
Amanda M

Ask for advice on the raptor chapter or do a search on there - they're good folks on there and there will be loads of threads on balancing TBs etc

Could be worth checking that the front plug cap is OK because they are known to break.

My raptor is hopefully going tonight and I'll be riding home on a nice Z1000 instead
Old 20-06-07, 11:35 AM   #6
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

He was having a chat with tlmonkey last night after I posted this thread, but so far he's still scratching his head, he mentioned coils last night. He'd probably be on the right track if the manual wasn't all in german!! and you know from being on the raptorchaptor that an English one is in great demand

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-07, 07:12 AM   #7
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRCSixtyThree View Post
Balanced the TBs on my 650 when it was running rough and made a big difference... same story with the carbs on my ZX7, it's like a different bike now - although a lot more work with 4 carbs!
Balancing carbs on a ZX7R is a horrible job. The vacuum take-off points are in a really awkward place under the carbs and you need the longest skinniest fingers known to man to get to them, ZX9Rs are even worse for access. Kawasaki say take the carbs off, put the vacuum pipes on, carbs back on, balance them then remove to take the vacuum pipes off again before refitting carbs again.

Sod that, I wriggle my fingers in under the carbs and between all the plumbing to get in there. A mate has a 9R that does silly mileage, I fitted adaptors and long vacuum pipes with plugs in the ends permanently, so we don't have that kind of hassle again. Now I just pull the plugs and pop the gauges on without all the farting around.
Old 21-06-07, 07:35 AM   #8
Amanda M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
He was having a chat with tlmonkey last night after I posted this thread, but so far he's still scratching his head, he mentioned coils last night. He'd probably be on the right track if the manual wasn't all in german!! and you know from being on the raptorchaptor that an English one is in great demand
Well, good luck getting it fixed. TLmonkey always has good suggestions. They're a nightmare when they go wrong. One of reasons I got rid of mine yesterday

Amanda
Old 21-06-07, 02:13 PM   #9
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
Balancing carbs on a ZX7R is a horrible job. The vacuum take-off points are in a really awkward place under the carbs and you need the longest skinniest fingers known to man to get to them, ZX9Rs are even worse for access. Kawasaki say take the carbs off, put the vacuum pipes on, carbs back on, balance them then remove to take the vacuum pipes off again before refitting carbs again.

Sod that, I wriggle my fingers in under the carbs and between all the plumbing to get in there. A mate has a 9R that does silly mileage, I fitted adaptors and long vacuum pipes with plugs in the ends permanently, so we don't have that kind of hassle again. Now I just pull the plugs and pop the gauges on without all the farting around.
Damn right... I added in the job of fitting my Scottoiler at the same time, and fitted a screw-in vacuum take-off (which resulted in me removing the carbs, then the alternator after I dropped the ******* thing into the guts of the bike while trying to be clever) with an extension pipe for the Scott's vacuum pipe, which I can disconnect to balance No. 2 carb - No's 1,3 and 4 have vacuum pipework already accessible, so no more carb-off balancing from now on