SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-09-16, 07:10 PM   #1
DuncanC

Default Clutch push rod oil seal

My bike, a 2000 s, has developed a small oil leek from somewhere around the drive output, clutch push rod or gear lever area. I thought to save having the bike off the road I'll order all 3 and replace which ever one has gone.
Well it looks like the clutch push rod seal. No problem pop the rod out prise out the seal. Well that was the plan until bad light and a thunder storm stopped play.
Any way I have popped inside and the new seal is a 34mm OD 8m ID 5.5mm thick jobby. The seal I am trying to get out of my bike looks to be no more than 20mm OD.
Can anybody tell me the correct dimensions of the oil seal? I have looked on the fowlers site and It only gives me a part number and no info on the oil seal size. I had been hoping not to put my bike out of action as I wanted to go away this weekend.
If I can get dimensions I can pick up an oil seal from the local bearing place and get this sorted.

thanks
DuncanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-16, 07:37 PM   #2
Highlandsv650

Default Re: Clutch push rod oil seal

6 x 34 x5.5 is the dimension given for your year of bike.
Old 15-09-16, 09:10 PM   #3
DuncanC

Thanks, I'm not sure what is going on then as the seal I'm trying to get out is way smaller than that. More investigating tomorrow. I'm guessing that what I thought was an 8 is a 6. Still doesn't solve why the OD is so different.
Old 16-09-16, 07:04 AM   #4
Highlandsv650

1st and 2nd generation both use the same seal so it looks as if they've sent you the right one. Maybe daylight will reveal all?
Good luck.
Old 16-09-16, 07:15 AM   #5
Blapper

Just idly reading this thread - if the seals are supposed to be fitted from the outside, they would have to get smaller from the outside in.

just saying is all...
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-16, 07:37 AM   #6
Highlandsv650

No, they're all parallel edges on the outside, just an interference fit in the casing. The hole in the centre has a spring fitted round a lip on the inside to make sure it stays in contact with whatever is spinning inside it.
Old 16-09-16, 11:21 AM   #7
Blapper

Yes. I am just saying that the larger seal must be on the outside to allow a seal that is inboard of it to pass through the hole once it is removed...
Old 16-09-16, 12:05 PM   #8
Highlandsv650

Not sure what you mean there, there is only one seal, 6mm i/d, 34mm o/d and 5.5mm deep.
Old 16-09-16, 02:55 PM   #9
Blapper

Ah, Duncans first post made me think it was a double seal. I'll shut up then...
Old 16-09-16, 06:33 PM   #10
DuncanC

Daylight did reveal all. under the muck there is a steel plate that covers the clutch and drive oil seals. Unfortunately to get the third screw out to release the plate you have to drop the oil so you can remove the alternator cover. Now I have changed the offending seal. However I am still off the road as I need a new alternator cover gasket.