SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-06-07, 10:34 PM   #1
2mths

Default Riding through Flood water - OMG

Just hacked it back from Norwich to Northampton ~120miles done in a little under 120 minutes. Hit edge of Northampton and realised why the roads the last few miles had been wet, it was chucking it down. I thought "hope I make it home before the front cylinder goes" and kept it at 90. Anyway it goes and I'm a mile from home and just off the dual carrige way. I see the car in front swerve and guess and half see it's a puddle, so I follow suit and even so I have water going up over my screen! I was just looking at a wall of water. It completely covered my boots (instant soaked feet). I couldn't believe how this depth of water had got there. I'm still trying to keep the bike going on 1 cylinder hence my not stopping. Anyway I hit another huge fookin' puddle and again water way up over the screen, legs get soaked this time too. Unreal. I go to 'driving car in flood mode' and got to slip the clutch and build the revs and of course she stalls. Somehow and I'm really supprised she starts again on the button on one cylinder, so I avoid having to put my feet down in several inches of water. Limped home from there. Must see if that hole on side of block is a drainage hole and unblock it, also get the bloody fender extender.
Old 04-06-07, 08:22 AM   #2
John 675

Exclamation Re: Riding through Flood water - OMG

Im in there with you too buddy, on my way home from Matlock yesterday dropped in at the mrs's mothers house in nottingham had some tea and set off for home, really nice sunny weather as we have had all day . . then the big rain drops fall... whoops i think hope i get home soon . . . then i couldnt see the bike stayed on two though and i crawled to my workplace as it was the nearest place to shelter. the drains had flooded almost instantly and aqua plaining sounds fun but the Dunlops kepth their grip, so hts off to stock Rubber! ! !
Old 04-06-07, 08:35 AM   #3
plowsie

Default Re: Riding through Flood water - OMG

I got caught in it at KFC by B&Q at 10 ish last night mate. I walked outside was hammering it down, thought long and hard even had the offer to stay inside KFC n thought nope should be okay only 2 or 3 miles to my house. Got into Far Cotton and couldnt see through my visor and i was constantly wiping the visor. Stopped at Tescos and me n the bike sat under cover for 30 mins. And it still hadn't really died down Still got soaked and i was in 3 quarters Teach me a lesson i suppose.
Old 04-06-07, 08:39 AM   #4
K

*sigh* There's a stretch of road next to one of the parks in Northampton that can get a really impressive bit of flooding...

... approaching it one day in my old 4x4 and seeing an old Landy coming the other way - strange how both of us timed our entry to hit the water at the same time whilst grinning like loons. The smack as both bow-waves hit the opposite car was sooooo cool.

On the bike though - couldn't you have just gone through it with your feet sticking out and in the air to keep em dry?
Ah, hang on though - that's what you do on a pushbike as a kid though isn't it!
Old 04-06-07, 08:53 AM   #5
2mths

Quote:
Originally Posted by K View Post
*sigh* There's a stretch of road next to one of the parks in Northampton that can get a really impressive bit of flooding...
Where's that K? Sounds like it might have been where I was? On the stretch between the Bedford roundabout and err 'town' (car garages on right - waste ground then Becketts park? on left)

I don't have much cause to go down there so have never seen it flooded before.

Lifting my feet off the pegs would have done nothing at the speed I hit the water. I reckon I must have created a bow wave of my own. I'm not talking about throwing a little bit of water up, I mean a complete sheet over the level of my head that you couldn't see though (I was going too quick). Worried I was going to rear end the car as he'd slowed down a lot more than me (I just wanted to get through it).
Old 04-06-07, 08:54 AM   #6
MiniMatt

Chuckle, used to have a Xantia, with the freaky french uppy downy suspension (ok, so all suspension is uppy downy, but these things you can change the ride height via a little lever in the car). Fond memories of jacking it up to clown-car height and trundling through - towed a vauxhall frontera out of a puddle once When she finally died she did so in comedy citroen pose - front wheels jacked to the sky, back wheels scraping along the road http://www.mattandem.plus.com/xantia/
Old 04-06-07, 08:55 AM   #7
Baph

I've ridden with waves coming up over the engine before now. Great feeling when I got to the other side & nothing was wrong with the bike.

Never skipped a beat at all. Came out running on 2 cylinders.

HTH
Old 04-06-07, 08:58 AM   #8
2mths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
HTH
: :middlefinger:
Old 04-06-07, 09:03 AM   #9
Baph

Oh yea, I have a fender extender as well. It's waiting patiently to be fitted.

Haven't got around to it yet, don't see the point...
Old 04-06-07, 09:24 AM   #10
2mths

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMatt View Post
...used to have a Xantia...
My Dad had two as company cars. The suspension was cool We used to play silly buggers with it too to go through occasonal floods. Never got to rescue anyone though. As they were company cars we didn't have them till they died. We did send one back with a permanenly jacked up rear though