SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-01-08, 11:39 AM   #1
Blue_SV650S

Default Eliminating side stand switch … Diode

I think mine is giving me grief (randomly cutting engine when I am going along and/or cutting the engine when I put it in first at some lights). Looking at the wiring diagram, the wires that go to it are shorted when the stand is up. However I notice there is a diode in the stand switch (according to the diagram) so presumably if I simply chopped the wires and shorted out, there could be some back-feed though this circuit?!!??

Comments please!

On a curvy if it makes a difference!
Old 21-01-08, 02:49 PM   #2
Robw#70

Default Re: Eliminating side stand switch … Diode

just join them together there's nothing that is effected, the diode is in the loom by the starter solenoid which i think is for the neutral light
Old 21-01-08, 06:47 PM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

The diode, afaik is to stop any strange effects when you let go of the starter button, such as pulses and arcing on the starter solenoid contacts. (thats the one labelled as "clutch diode" in haynes, and lives up by the reg/rec)
Don't think it affects the neutral light, isn't connected to it directly at all.
Old 21-01-08, 08:25 PM   #4
Blue_SV650S

it deffo shows a diode in the sidestand switch itself!!

http://www.sv650.org/SV_service_manu...02-wiring2.JPG

Anyhoo, I have chopped and 'made' the wires now ... we will soon see if it was the switch at fault .. pinkies crossed
Old 21-01-08, 11:05 PM   #5
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Eliminating side stand switch ? Diode

Blue's right, the diode is to stop 'backfeeding' as the neutral and sidestand switches feed into the starter control relay, (not the solenoid, the relay that controls it).
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-08, 10:29 AM   #6
Blue_SV650S

Well what was an intermittent fault turned into a permanent fault this AM ... although the 'twist and tape' seemed ok last nigh/got me home without fault (was cutting out at least 3 times a ride before),. she was having none of it this AM and just cut out every time I tried to put it in gear ...

I was 'roadside' so tried to fix with what I had to hand ... long story short, it was not the sidestand switch itself, but the green feed wires themselves (finally bodged it by jamming the black/white wire that fed the sidestand switch into the green wire in the fuzebox/relay).

It's a bit of a mess at the mo as it was a roadside repair, ... sort it out properly at a future date (narrow down further where the break in the circuit is, replace that bit of wire and re-wire the sidestand in). But I am pretty sure there was a dodgy feed wire to the sidestand switch ...

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 22-01-08 at 10:35 AM.
Old 22-01-08, 10:29 AM   #7
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
Blue's right, the diode is to stop 'backfeeding' as the neutral and sidestand switches feed into the starter control relay, (not the solenoid, the relay that controls it).
Can you think of negative effects? it seems to work ...
Old 22-01-08, 12:58 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I'd eliminate the lot, but if you want a spare sidestand switch then I've got one kicking about.
Old 22-01-08, 02:43 PM   #9
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
I'd eliminate the lot, but if you want a spare sidestand switch then I've got one kicking about.
Cheers 4 the offer, but I don?t think there is anything wrong with mine in the end!! ? with a bit of daylight and a multimeter I traced the fault to a factory crimp joint in the green wire (goes from blue to green?!!?) just below the fuse/relay holder ?

Now I have fixed the failure in the circuit, I?ll take the sidestand off and re-solder/make the wires I chopped off.

Although the sidestand switch is a pain as it is a point of failure, it IS a good idea, so I?d like it back in the circuit if it is OK
Old 22-01-08, 02:47 PM   #10
Blue_SV650S

Oh and I DID break the relay … I shorted out the Green and the Orange/Yella wire during my trace procedure … unfortunately the bike then wouldn’t start!! … I had one from my track bike, so threw that in and we were back again.

So I either need a new relay thingy for my track bike, OR, looking at the diagram, I could short the O/Y and the O/B internally and that should essentially bypass the safety relay right?

(I’ll have a run through the diagram to make sure, but be interested in what others thought).