SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-06-18, 12:47 PM   #11
proze

Default Re: Rattle can spraying

I normally use acetone as the last step before primer. Is that correct?
proze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-18, 06:21 PM   #12
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by proze View Post
I normally use acetone as the last step before primer. Is that correct?
Acetone is an excellent pre-spray wipe.

Just prior to spraying we use,"Tac-Cloths" once cleaned,

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pai...+Cloths/p27935

to make sure there's no dust or debris on the Surface.Lightly run across the surface.You can get quite a bit of life out if them on small jobs like these by using one side of them and then unfolding and then using the other side.

Here's how one of my old CX500 rebuilt engines looked after I'd re-painted it using Plastikote High Temp Satin Chrome domestic Radiator paint which is an Excellent High temp paint.Bigger picture of my present Avatar.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 11-06-18 at 06:32 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-18, 07:52 AM   #13
Heratat

Wow, that looks fabulous! How much stuff have you wasted in order to do such a beauty? I thought on repainting my SV650 and thank god I didn't dive straight into it but first tried on a shoestand. Definitely wasn't born to be a painter...
Old 12-06-18, 07:56 AM   #14
Heratat

I'm going to ask questions that may look super stupid. But. How much acetone do I need? Cuz when I spray paint afterwards, it tends either to go in lumps or make stains.
Old 12-06-18, 08:07 AM   #15
proze

So last night I had a go with the Simoniz Tough Paint in satin black. I prepped the triple on the weekend. Yesterday it just got a wipe down with solvent. I heated the rattle can in warm water and the triple with a hair-dryer before each coat. Time will tell how tough it is, but the initial finish is lovely! Very chuffed.
Old 12-06-18, 08:27 AM   #16
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
So last night I had a go with the Simoniz Tough Paint in satin black. I prepped the triple on the weekend. Yesterday it just got a wipe down with solvent. I heated the rattle can in warm water and the triple with a hair-dryer before each coat. Time will tell how tough it is, but the initial finish is lovely! Very chuffed.
Nice one.I use the,"Hair-dryer" trick and the Can in a Pan of warm water all the time.I also use the Hair-dryer when I'm bodging with twin pack adhesives to speed up curing

For cosmetic paint maintenance you can use some quick bodge tricks.Keep old supermarket plastic bags and stuff them around the area that needs touching up to stop over-spray.Cut a small piece of card around 4" or 6" square.Hold in one had as moveable masking.

Then you only have to use masking tape on those parts that really need it.Any little bits of over-spray just wipe off with thinners.

If you need to touch up small spots like on frames etc get a small pencil/artist brush.Spray some of the Aerosol paint into the Can lid and dip your brush in it

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 12-06-18 at 08:36 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-18, 09:47 AM   #17
proze

I'm contemplating spraying the fork-bottoms with this Simoniz paint, but I'm still unsure on its durability in the face of road dirt/stones/crud. Assuming they've been prepped properly (sanded, cleaned) and then etch-primed and the paint applied, will more layers of paint make them tougher? I read an article that suggested many layers of both primer and paint, up to 8 or 9 layers of paint!
Old 13-06-18, 02:35 PM   #18
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
I'm contemplating spraying the fork-bottoms with this Simoniz paint, but I'm still unsure on its durability in the face of road dirt/stones/crud. Assuming they've been prepped properly (sanded, cleaned) and then etch-primed and the paint applied, will more layers of paint make them tougher? I read an article that suggested many layers of both primer and paint, up to 8 or 9 layers of paint!

Once you've got a decent coat of primer on there's no need to make that thicker.On the Top coat spray a,"Grip/Dust Coat" and leave for 5 mins.Then apply first light coat.

Then leave again for 5 mins and repeat in 5 or 10 min intervals.I would say you won't get much benefit with Rattle can paint after about four coats.

However as per previous post you can maintain the paint by Mask and Touch up when it becomes damaged and just paint the areas that are visible with a touch-up coat.All you need to do is 500 grit-wet to dull it/key the surface and make good when needed.

Rattle cans can't compete with a Pro Twin-pack system or Powder coating but it can look good and kept looking good with a little sprucing up from time-to-time

Remember to keep all metal parts and the paint above a minimum of 15 Deg C.That's about the usual no-paint-below-temp and the higher the better.