SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 07-08-12, 10:20 AM   #1
Mega Poster

Default Quick track day question

Had a good read through the stickies (ace info) but I couldn't seem to find the answer to the following:

Is there an overall rule for what gear you're to wear? Is it strictly one piece leathers or can you get away with two piece? Or even textiles?

I'm gonna be doing my first track day some time soon, so trying to keep cost down before I dive head in and become Rossi

Cheers
650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-12, 10:22 AM   #2
granty

Default Re: Quick track day question

Normally only 1 or 2 piece leathers are allowed.
Old 07-08-12, 10:28 AM   #3
Runako

Most require minimum of two piece which zips together for 3/4 of the circumference. The idea is that, in the event of an off, both parts will stay together and minimise more serious injury (so a good one peice is the best protection by that rationale).

More importantly, when you're on track for the first time you'll quickly become accustomed to the speed and freedom of it all, so you really want to ensure you have the best protection everywhere - including Helmet, Gloves, Boots as well as the suit.

Good luck and enjoy it.
Old 07-08-12, 11:39 AM   #4
BBadger

Yup 2 piece zip together is the minimum allowed on every track, along with gloves and helmet. Obviously good boots are more of a want than a must and if you have it good armour/protection.

Where you thinking of going? i popped the cherry not quite a month ago and want another day at the track it really is so much fun!
Old 07-08-12, 11:45 AM   #5
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Two Piece zip together or 1 piece. Must be leather. Textiles not allowed.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-12, 12:08 PM   #6
Runako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Speirs View Post
Two Piece zip together or 1 piece. Must be leather. Textiles not allowed.
Not so, my first Trackday at Llandow was done in textiles. I actually crashed and the textiles were trashed but were great quality and did a very good job. no injuries or rash, and they were two piece zip.

The trackdays will provide info (usually on a website) to say exactly what is and isn't acceptable so have a look at the one you're interested in before booking.
Old 07-08-12, 12:26 PM   #7
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBadger View Post
Yup 2 piece zip together is the minimum allowed on every track, along with gloves and helmet. Obviously good boots are more of a want than a must and if you have it good armour/protection.

Where you thinking of going? i popped the cherry not quite a month ago and want another day at the track it really is so much fun!
Don't actually know yet!

I'm in Weybridge now, so anywhere within a 100 mile radius isn't off the cards...closer is better obviously.

I need to get some crash bungs, the R&G ones have a bracket that runs through the frame if I'm not mistaken. Any other good ways of protecting everything (other than race fairings!) if/when I come sliding off?

Cheers for the info guys!
Old 07-08-12, 12:34 PM   #8
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runako View Post
Not so, my first Trackday at Llandow was done in textiles. I actually crashed and the textiles were trashed but were great quality and did a very good job. no injuries or rash, and they were two piece zip.

The trackdays will provide info (usually on a website) to say exactly what is and isn't acceptable so have a look at the one you're interested in before booking.
Taken directly from the Llandow Circuit website:

Quote:
Circuit Rules
Before using the circuit all participants MUST:
1. Sign an Indemnity form
2. Be over 18 years old
3. Provide a full motorcycle driving licence
4. Be physically fit
5. Be a competent rider
6. Wear an approved helmet, leathers and gloves
Taken from their FAQ section:

Quote:
Q – Do I need to wear leathers?
Quote:
A – You do indeed and they have to be either a 1 piece or a 2 piece zipped together.

If you book with Focused, No Limits, Pacedayz, Easytrack or Club MSV they all insist on Leathers also.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.

Last edited by Mr Speirs; 07-08-12 at 12:36 PM.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-12, 12:41 PM   #9
Mega Poster

Leathers it is then. Now to buy some sweaty second hand ones from the bay....mmmm
Old 07-08-12, 03:52 PM   #10
Runako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Speirs View Post
Taken directly from the Llandow Circuit website:

Taken from their FAQ section:

If you book with Focused, No Limits, Pacedayz, Easytrack or Club MSV they all insist on Leathers also.
Well, all I can say is that at the time this wasn't a requirement. I did notice in recent months that the whole operation has been developed and the website's improved but its not a question of whether I was allowed to ride at the time as I still have the destroyed textiles (call me sentimental )

All joking aside, leathers is better and I agree this is the right message.

Also 650, good tryes help on a trackday. If its colder then you really want to pay attention to warming up the tyres. But some are better than others and if you have the OEM Dunlops burn, destroy, bury them ... whatever, but get them off. I'm afraid the only thing that will prevent damage is not crashing. But don't think about that. Just go out and enjoy.