SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-08-12, 07:49 PM   #1
chezvegas85

Default New Exhaust Install (picture thread)

Big thanks to Cx-5 for his time and effort (and exhaust!) today, really appreciated. Wasn't easy as my frontpipe is in a state, but i'll come to that at the end.

Old oem does not want to come off

More than several moments later!

Mart you've murdered it!

Continued

Tidied up a little

Starting to get somewhere, many cups of tea were consumed between these two points, along with a few choice words being said, some jiggling and hoisting + the occasional furrowed brow

Unorthodox fixing method, marts idea, I'd of been to the garage by this point + walking the streets cap in hand.

Wahey, finally got there! Thanks again mart . Full fairings will be going back on tomorrow.

Now what do i do about this??
Old 27-08-12, 08:06 PM   #2
speedyandypandy

Default Re: New Exhaust Install (picture thread)

nut cracker or hacksaw, get it all of, give the rest of the studbolt a hard knock with a hammer, big vicegrip, dw-40 and a rethread the threads, new bolt..... less than a hour if your lucky. If not drill the bolt through, spray dw40, knock with hammer and re spray and knock 2-3 times a minute until it gets loose.
Old 27-08-12, 08:17 PM   #3
sv_rory

id put a socket on thats a bit too small and wollap it on with a hammer and a breaker bar. that is a lot cleaner than mine was and it took it straight off.

if not weld an old socket onto it
Old 27-08-12, 08:27 PM   #4
muzikill
Mega Poster

Why do you want to take off the front studs? I thought it was all fitted?
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-12, 08:36 PM   #5
chezvegas85

Your right muz, I may well just leave it. Although I do want it sorting eventually, then I can remove marts fix point and get it down to just the one clamp. Forgot to take a photo of the baffle he fitted for me too, still much louder than the stock (unsurprisingly) but hopefully not so loud as all the neigbours will hate me - I get home after 11 some nights and leave around 6am back for work the next day - I'm a two wheeled commuter
Old 27-08-12, 09:18 PM   #6
muzikill
Mega Poster

Best thing to do is give it all a clean up and polish the downpipes. Wire brush around the front studs and nuts to remove the corrosion. Something will snap if you try removing them!

Unless your replacing the downpipes dont try fixing something that isnt broken
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.

Last edited by muzikill; 27-08-12 at 09:21 PM.
Old 27-08-12, 09:22 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

i think you win the worst water pump housing award.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-12, 09:32 PM   #8
muzikill
Mega Poster

Plus youve pinched the breather hose on the clip.

Give it a bit of a clean and check up around there
Old 27-08-12, 10:55 PM   #9
cx5

Once the old pipe was removed it became apparent that the replacement mid section wasn't designed to fit without first removing or loosening the front pipe, the swinging arm limits the movement near the rear manifold and you are trying to locate two pipes that point in different directions.
We didn't really want to touch the front pipe bolts but once the exhaust was cut to remove it there was no going back. It seemed the only solution was to keep shortening the front pipe until we could force the new end over it, and it take some forcing.
With about 40mm cut off ,the joint was going to need a sleeve to have a chance of sealing which luckily came in the form of the top joint off the old pipe, the diameters were pretty close. Its not the neatest joint but it was either that or a bean can.
You live and learn, i was relieved to get my shed back and chez relived to get his bike back, for a couple of hours we dint think we would get either.
The breather is probably fine as i put it up on the gearshift out of harms way, but its good to have other eyes on the job.
Old 28-08-12, 07:38 AM   #10
speedyandypandy

Maybe there should be live webcams up when people work on something, so 10-20 people can yell "NO" "YES" "Wrong way"