SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 10-04-07, 03:19 PM   #1
Alpinestarhero

Default Riding schools

A while back, brands hatch used to advertise a "ducati experiance". Pay your money, turn up and ride their ducatis around the track. Now, I know they dont do this sort of thing anymore, but are there any places that do something similar?

I'd love to get on a track and ride around, but I dont want to take my bike on a trackday because 1) its underpowered, and i think it would be too dangerous, 2) I cant afford another set of tyres and 3) i dont want to crash my own bike

What about ron haslams race school? Has anyone done that?

Matt
Old 10-04-07, 03:27 PM   #2
andyaikido

Default Re: Riding schools

Ron Haslam's is probably the place to go. Always seems to get good press.

I think K's been there, she'll probably be on in a bit.
Old 10-04-07, 04:09 PM   #3
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
A while back, brands hatch used to advertise a "ducati experiance". Pay your money, turn up and ride their ducatis around the track. Now, I know they dont do this sort of thing anymore, but are there any places that do something similar?

I'd love to get on a track and ride around, but I dont want to take my bike on a trackday because 1) its underpowered, and i think it would be too dangerous, 2) I cant afford another set of tyres and 3) i dont want to crash my own bike

Matt
I wouldn't write off a trackday so quickly. If you choose your track carefully then the restricted SV won't feel too underpowered. At Brands Indy last month, there was an RS250 who was running rings around most of the sportsbikes. You won't go through a set of tyres on a trackday. Yes they will wear more than road riding, but they will still be fine afterwards (unless they are on their way out now!). As for crashing....you can never predict what will or will not happen, but if you ride to your limits, then you can reduce the risk a lot. Plus there are instructors about for you to grab and get advice from.

Have a look at this:

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=86798

A load of us from here did it last year - many on first trackdays. It was good fun!

EDIT: Plus it's only 90 pounds, which is way less than a race school.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30

Last edited by lukemillar; 10-04-07 at 04:38 PM.
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 04:11 PM   #4
K

I seem to remember Cazza has done a course at Ron Haslam's - I went to Suzuki Race School at Mallory.

I really enjoyed it and yeah, being on one of their Gixxers rather than your own bike was a great confidence boost.
I also forked the little bit extra for 1-2-1 tuition, which was worth it in my min. The time flew past though.

Both Ron Haslam's and California Superbike School have always seemed to get good reviews...

... though considering the cost - I'd rather now save up for the week-long 'sectional course' at the Nurburgring.
Old 10-04-07, 04:37 PM   #5
weazelz

Quote:
2) I cant afford another set of tyres
you'll be using bits of your tyres that you wouldn't do usually. you might arguably say that you'll get *more* mileage out of your tyres, because you'll de-square them
Old 10-04-07, 05:55 PM   #6
cdrsimmonds

Say weazelz, You weren't at the Snetterton morning track day over the weekend were you? I remember seeing a Yellow SV aith a rider wearing a similar orange jacket...
Old 10-04-07, 06:30 PM   #7
Alpinestarhero

Hmm...interesting, and I think you guys are right about the tyres - i'll be using the endges (well, i could be using the edges) which I'd never use on the road.

I suppose brands indy for a track day would be alright - at least I know where the track is going...

Matt
Old 10-04-07, 06:49 PM   #8
weazelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsimmonds View Post
Say weazelz, You weren't at the Snetterton morning track day over the weekend were you? I remember seeing a Yellow SV aith a rider wearing a similar orange jacket...
yes, on sunday morning. danf, localhost & I were there in the novice group

there's a thread on it here

were you riding/marshalling/other ?

Last edited by weazelz; 10-04-07 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-04-07, 06:55 PM   #9
Jdubya

Quote:

Matt
I've been looking at doing this course...
Old 10-04-07, 07:05 PM   #10
Alpinestarhero

Jdub - that looks good, but how far away is the track from london?

Matt