SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-07-07, 03:38 AM   #1
sv650sfan

Question Advantages of V-twin over an inline four

Hi,

Been asked another question - and me neither having enough mechanical knowledge nor a big ego stopping me from putting it out as a question on this forum - again sending it out to the experts.

I've been asked what is the advantage of a v-twin vs. an inline four in motorbikes. All I could think of was if Ducati is doing twins in most of its bikes; something must be right about these.

Thanks,
Old 04-07-07, 06:29 AM   #2
toonyank

Default Re: Advantages of V-twin over an inline four

Bottom end torque, helpfull engine braking (if you think it's helpfull,... I do), generally lighter (not as much metal), MUCH nicer sound (IMHO ) and before my SV I only road in-lines, and they're not as wide which along with other geometry makes them (well SV's anyway) great track bikes.
Old 04-07-07, 06:30 AM   #3
Jelster

Twins tend to develop power/torque lower down the rev range than IL4's. That's the most basic "difference". However, as engines get bigger this becomes less noticeable.

Twins tend to have narrow engines than fours unless it's a "transverse" engine (across the frame rather than in line with it).

Fours tend to produce more power for a given engine size, but generally tend to rev higher to achieve it. For example, the GSXR600 produces more BHP and torque than the SV650, but needs to rev much higher to make it happen.
Old 04-07-07, 06:55 AM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Neither has an advantage as such, they both have their good points of course. Assuming you mean only those V-twins that are fitted longditudinally - SV, Firestorm, Ducati, Harley, Aprilia, but not Guzzi - then:
A V-twin is compact laterally, but can be less easy to fit to a motorcycle frame due to it's length. Arranged in a conventional way, (that is; a 90 degree twin on a single crankpin), then torque can feel good as at any given time a piston is moving. Generally it's accepted that twins, any layout, 'feel' good - this can be hard to quantify of course.
The downside is efficiency, with good design the more cylinders you have the more piston/valve area there is, as an engine is essentially a pump the more easily the gasses are moved in and out of the engine, and the more area the pistons have for the gasses to act upon, the better.
More cylinders give that, thus twins aren't efficient.
If you're thinking of Ducati's racing success, remember that until a few years ago in Superbikes, Ducati had quite a capacity advantage, twins had a 1000cc limit, fours 750cc, since that's been evened out it hasn't all gone Ducati's way as it once did. In GPs Ducati's bike is a four cylinders, (in a 'V'), within reason the more cylinders the better.
In theory perhaps the best engine configuration for a bike would be a V-four - the advantages of both engine types.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-07, 08:47 AM   #5
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
In theory perhaps the best engine configuration for a bike would be a V-four - the advantages of both engine types.
I'm now feeling all smug
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-07, 10:00 AM   #6
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
As long as it's not weighed down with ABS, touring screen, V-Tec, GPS, Luggage, CAMRA stickers, pipe, slippers and a beardy bloke with a flip-up helmet and a beer belly - thereby undoing all the hard work Honda put into making the engine more efficient.

You meant the vision of beauty that is the VFR750R RC30, didn't you... please tell me you did?
Old 04-07-07, 10:16 AM   #7
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
As long as it's not weighed down with ABS, V-Tec, Luggage and a beer belly
OI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
You meant the vision of beauty that is the VFR750R RC30, didn't you... please tell me you did?
Nah, he means an RVF750 RC45 mate!
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-07, 11:27 AM   #8
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonyank View Post
generally lighter
How sure about that are you?
Old 04-07-07, 11:40 AM   #9
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

The twin has longer gaps between the power pulses so in thoery gives more grip. It was enough for the racing boys to mess around with the firing order of 4-cylinder bikes. I still maintain that you can feel the difference when you feed to power on with it cranked over.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-07, 02:24 PM   #10
muffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
The twin has longer gaps between the power pulses so in thoery gives more grip. It was enough for the racing boys to mess around with the firing order of 4-cylinder bikes. I still maintain that you can feel the difference when you feed to power on with it cranked over.
This always intrigued me - there may be longer gaps but surely the pulses must be bigger?