SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-02-08, 12:25 PM   #1
G
Mega Poster

Default Rear Sets?

Are they worth the money?

I keep seeing alot of talk about them and have searched on the forums and read what I can.

What are the benefits etc?.

I'm just over 6ft tall and sometimes feel that if my legs were positioned slightly different I would be a whole lot more comfortable. I also tend to touch the standard pegs down a fair bit which I hate as I alway fear they will dig in and flip me off, I want to do a few trackdays this year aswell and if I'm going faster than on the road it would worry me even more.

With the symptoms above would I benefit from getting a set?

Ultimately are they easy to fit if you have a decent tool kit and a small amount of tinkering experience?.

I have seen a few about and they vary in price, are the ones below any good? and can anyone recommend anything different!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GBMOTO-REARSET...QQcmdZViewItem

Sorry for all the questions, they were the ones that I could not answer by searching old posts.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 12:44 PM   #2
petevtwin650

Default Re: Rear Sets?

I fitted mine, so easy to fit, Yes.

Most but not all give you a range of adjustment. They do tuck in more, but will not fold like OEM ones, so if you get one down it could have you off. More likely to break a footpeg too I reckon. Also paddling the bike around is more difficult.
Old 04-02-08, 12:53 PM   #3
Stig

They are primarily used to raise the footpeg allowing for more angle when cornering. I would say the majority have them because they look bling and expensive.
Old 04-02-08, 12:59 PM   #4
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevtwin650 View Post
I fitted mine, so easy to fit, Yes.

Most but not all give you a range of adjustment. They do tuck in more, but will not fold like OEM ones, so if you get one down it could have you off. More likely to break a footpeg too I reckon. Also paddling the bike around is more difficult.
I think I have seen the picture of your in one of the posts that turned up on a search.

Are they the ones from the US. Which website did you get them from and how did you find buying them from the US? that bit always worries me, i hate buying stuff over the internet from the UK let alone the US
Old 04-02-08, 02:47 PM   #5
Flamin_Squirrel

Most are adjustable, such as the ones you've linked, for more than just for peg position. They will be higher, so if you manage to get them to deck you're doing something wrong (not hanging off).

They don't flip up, but this is a good thing. I've crashed my SV a few times now, all on the RHS and every time the peg has taken the impact without breaking, which has saved the rear brake lever on every occasion.

The levers rotate on bearings too, giving smoother action on gear/rear brake lever than stock.
Old 04-02-08, 03:47 PM   #6
G
Mega Poster

can anyone specifically recommend any manafacturers?

I assume the price difference is relating to materials/lightness and the amount of adjustment variable it has rather than their performance? or am i mistaken.
Old 04-02-08, 04:54 PM   #7
flymo
Mega Poster

I would strongly recommend those from Diamond Race Products. They advertise these for an SV regularly on ebay for £165 a set, very good quality too.

Mine are purely for racing and the two main benefits are; 1, ground clearance, and 2. they dont fold if the bike ends up on its side. If your leg happens to be under it then this is a good thing.

The diamond rearsets have a plastic insert on teh very end, much like a crash bung does and so helps the bike slide rather than dig in.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 04:59 PM   #8
Dangerous Dave

Rosmoto, mine have survived two lowsides in there life and a side battering from a Vauxhall....

Silver, Black, Gold and Blue available from http://www.jhsracing.co.uk/ 0117 986 8844
Old 04-02-08, 05:17 PM   #9
Tim in Belgium

Following this thread with interest, any tall riders out there who could give a view on the different riding position/change in leg room?
Old 04-02-08, 05:32 PM   #10
Dangerous Dave

Tim, I'm 6'1 and found the Rosmotos very comfortable (most rearsets have the same positioning, except adjustable ones obviously). Yes they do raise you feet, but they also move them back too which I found put my legs into a more comfortable position. Your knee would obviously need to bend more to fit.

Best thing to do is track down a guy with a set on and see if you can get a quick sit on it.