SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-11-08, 06:59 PM   #1
Girth
Mega Poster

Default Chain and sprockets

Its going to be time soon to get the chain and sprockets changed,

I like the looks of the Supervox Stealth Sprocket for the rear, any bad feedback about this?

Also anyone recommend a chain and front sprocket? Which is best X-ring or O-ring?

Ta
Gary
Old 07-11-08, 08:27 PM   #2
SVDragRacer

Default Re: Chain and sprockets

I replaced my full drive kit for my 650 on monday. I used JT front and rear sprockets (steel) and a gold X-ring chain.

Depending on what sort of riding you want to do will affect your choice. The one you're looking at has steel teeth which should be good for long life combined with the ally centres should be good for reduced weight.

I ordered my entire kit through B&C for £103 inc. delivery. Not exactly sure what the price will be for the 1000. You'd be better off looking at a full kit as it'd be cheaper than mix and matching. Definately go for the X-ring chain though, better life and perfornace for minimal extra cost. Theres plenty of talk about chain and sprockets on the forum but the general consensus seems to be that steel sprokets and X-ring chan are best as they last generally longer and you arent losing much.

Good luck deciding, watch out for the front sprocket nut as well, can be a right ****!
Old 07-11-08, 08:44 PM   #3
Stig

I have the stealth rear sprocket fitted. The teeth are steel. It looks cool (about the only thing on my bike that does) and wears no quicker than any other steel sprocket.
Old 07-11-08, 08:51 PM   #4
FG1

"It looks cool (about the only thing on my bike that does)"

Even when you are on it.....!!!!!!.......
Old 07-11-08, 08:58 PM   #5
FG1

I have just ordered a chain and sprocket kit from M&P.
X ring gold with steel sprockets, £95 delivered.
Got somebody who is a mechanic who is going to fit it next week for me, along with repairing a screw in the tyre which i found yesterday, for £40.
I was going to attempt is myself but seeing as the tyre needs doing aswell I think £40 is a more than fair amount.
I was quoted in the region of £190 by George White and Daytona for replacing the chain and sprockets so I am a happy bunny.
Old 07-11-08, 08:58 PM   #6
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG1 View Post
"It looks cool (about the only thing on my bike that does)"

Even when you are on it.....!!!!!!.......
Yeah well there is cool and there is me ICE COOL
Old 07-11-08, 08:59 PM   #7
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG1 View Post
I have just ordered a chain and sprocket kit from M&P.
X ring gold with steel sprockets, £95 delivered.
Got somebody who is a mechanic who is going to fit it next week for me, along with repairing a screw in the tyre which i found yesterday, for £40.
I was going to attempt is myself but seeing as the tyre needs doing aswell I think £40 is a more than fair amount.
I was quoted in the region of £190 by George White and Daytona for replacing the chain and sprockets so I am a happy bunny.
I could have done both for you for nought. Only had to ask fella.
Old 07-11-08, 09:03 PM   #8
FG1

Thanks for the offer Si but, in all fairness it he is relatively local and he can do it on my day off.
Old 08-11-08, 03:13 AM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Get JT steel sprockets. No point pi$$ing about with fancy ones, no unsprung weight saving worth talking about.
Old 08-11-08, 11:03 AM   #10
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Get JT steel sprockets. No point pi$$ing about with fancy ones, no unsprung weight saving worth talking about.
It's not all about saving weight you know. Some people have motorcycles which they like to look as good as they ride. I appreciate the likes of you and I are not one those ghey types. But there are some out there that are.