SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-05-06, 05:34 PM   #1
gingerbiker

Default sv 1st gear problem. Any ideas?

I have a k5 sv650 which has recently been in the shop as it occasionally won't go into 1st gear.

It only happens when stationary not when slowing down. It has done it since new and recently has got worse so I asked for it to be looked at.

The reply I got, after they had stripped down the clutch, was that this is a charachteristic of the gear box on all bikes. They said that I just need to pull the clutch in and out and it will go in. ( this doesn't appear to work, although rocking it backwards and forwards does)

Are they just fobbing me off as I am a lady ( even though this is my 6th bike and I've never had this problem before).

The strange thing is that when I took the bike in and explained the problem to the mechanic he said he had never heard of this problem before and 4 days later when I picked the bike up, it was just part of the gear box make up.

Any thoughts anyone?
Old 30-05-06, 05:53 PM   #2
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Default Re: sv 1st gear problem. Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbiker
I have a k5 sv650 which has recently been in the shop as it occasionally won't go into 1st gear.

It only happens when stationary not when slowing down. It has done it since new and recently has got worse so I asked for it to be looked at.

The reply I got, after they had stripped down the clutch, was that this is a charachteristic of the gear box on all bikes. They said that I just need to pull the clutch in and out and it will go in. ( this doesn't appear to work, although rocking it backwards and forwards does)

Are they just fobbing me off as I am a lady ( even though this is my 6th bike and I've never had this problem before).

The strange thing is that when I took the bike in and explained the problem to the mechanic he said he had never heard of this problem before and 4 days later when I picked the bike up, it was just part of the gear box make up.

Any thoughts anyone?

I find that blipping the throttle with the clutch in helps with shifting from stationary positions if it doesn't go in easily
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-06, 05:55 PM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Where are you? Best thing would be to measure yours up against someone elses bike, if there's a problem it should stand out.

It's not unknown for constant mesh 'boxes to act like this, but if it's significantly different from the way is was before then there is the possibility of a problem, however try this; pull in the clutch and press down on the lever, if it doesn't go into gear keep a little downward pressure on the lever as you slowly release the clutch a dab - not enough to drive though - it should click down into gear.

My Kawasaki does this occasionally, it's not a problem or a fault, simply that the various bits of the gearbox that need to engage are 'tooth to tooth' rather than as they need to be to mesh, allowing the 'box to turn a little allows the gear to be selected.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-06, 06:59 PM   #4
motorolly

If its any help I always blip the trottle as I drop from neutral to 1st at the lights, been caught out on loadsa bike in the past when the light goes green and I sat reving the engine I think its the same thing as Sid was saying, the clutch drag pulls the inlet side of the box round a little and makes sure the dogs drop into each other. If the engine is not running rocking the back wheel can do the same. Comparing to another SV would be helpful, there are pretty reliable boxes generally.
Old 30-05-06, 07:02 PM   #5
Speedy
Mega Poster

Hey gingerbiker!

Not had this on mine! How many miles has yours done?

I found my gearbox got smoother the more mileage I put on it.

I also find that fast changing is better,I don't mean stomping through the gears,but fast clutch-in,fast up/down shift.

If your in my general area,your welcome to try mine.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-06, 07:39 PM   #6
muffles

my k3 does something similar! when i stop, sometimes it won't go into neutral (i've only ever tried this from 1st i think).

i have to rock the bike forward and back a little, using drive to go forward (and hopefully engaging the drive enough to shake it out of whatever silly position its got into).

it doesn't happen that often, so i've just accepted it as part of the bike
Old 30-05-06, 07:54 PM   #7
The Basket

Yes my bike can do this too. Seems to be a quirk of the gearbox.

Not deadly though. I just get used to it and rock the bike.
Old 30-05-06, 08:13 PM   #8
seedy100

Mine does it too. (K3 S)

Some times it wont go into first, or second from neutral.
Like the others release the clutch, blip the throttle and in she goes.

Sometimes I get a similar problem with the car gearbox, so I've never really worried about it.
Old 30-05-06, 08:23 PM   #9
muffles

actually now i think about it i have on very rare occasion not been able to go from neutral -> first - it clicks down then clicks right back up again?! is this the problem you mean?

the other problem i had (getting into neutral from 1st) it just refuses to budge, i have the clutch pulled as tight as possible yet still won't go into neutral...
Old 31-05-06, 02:30 PM   #10
gingerbiker

Thanks guys,

glad to know i'm not alone with this.

I used to have a bandit 1200, done over 7000 miles on that and no probs at all with the gear box, except it was a bit clunky in 1st and 2nd. The sv's a year old now and only 3300 miles so will just have to learn to live with it and try out all your top tips.

I've just joined and you all seem a friendly bunch, so thanks again for the info.

Janet