SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-01-13, 11:01 PM   #21
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Project: Garage Find

Will save you some of hundreds of pictures I'm taking to assist on reassembly but here are some highlights as it were:

To take the engine out which is the next target it is time to remove anything that connects to the engine. And in this case its the power valve pulleys first on the list. The cables were seized but replacements are to be sourced. Under the cover the seal looks good but like the rest of the bike there is a bit of dirt and rust in there.

However not all is bad under the covers as this is a very clean looking oil pump.

Drained the gear box oil which actually looked overfilled in the sight glass. Maybe this was intentional before it was parked up. Then it was draining the coolant. The coolant looked ok actually, so I think the water pump seals are still intact or at least were when the engine was last used. However the expansion tank was empty bar some sludge. Taking the radiator off was fairly straight forward. It looks in good condition however so far no joy in removing the guard. Might look at getting it cleaned up or painted before it goes back on, so I'm open to suggestions on the approach here?

Then the carbs. Took the throttle cable off of the throttle tube and traced it back to a junction box that feeds the two carbs, the power valve, and the oil pump. Taking the the cables off of the power valve servo looked like it was going to be a bit of a pain so I just removed the servo. Well it needs to come off anyway. And then it was taking the carbs off.

They don't look to bad a first but then you get to have a closer look at them.

Hopefully these will clean up. But I'm not disassembling them any further at the moment. I think the plan is to take the engine out next then strip the frame down. Get that painted and reassembled before working on the engine and the carbs before doing the final assembly with the fairings. Well thats the plan anyway...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-13, 12:46 AM   #22
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
The pipes are rubber mounted as the motor is on fairly sloppy rubber mounts and the exhausts move a surprising amount, sloppy is good here - too securely fitted and the pipes can crack.

Sid's right - you don't fit LC/PV exhausts, you hang them.
Old 24-01-13, 10:53 AM   #23
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

If only someone would pull his finger out and sort out that blast cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith View Post
Anyways, this bunch of petrol heads might be able to help http://www.ardracing.com/tzr.html#Lb6MbdPieUii (the owner is a renound stroker)
Fnaaarrrrr

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-13, 12:30 PM   #24
Owenski

oohhh sub'd
Old 26-01-13, 11:43 PM   #25
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

So to take the engine out...

Actually quite a simple operation. The engine is held to the frame by a rear mounting bolt and an engine cradle frame. So after locating the bolts many of which were covered by grease/ oil/ dirt/ grime I loosened them all off before removing the cradle.

With the cradle off I supported the engine with a jack before removing the rear bolt balancing the engine against the frame and jack. And yes the clutch cover needs replacing.

After that it was just a simple case of lifting the engine onto the bench. The best part was the weight, compared to an SV lump this TZR weighs next to nothing I could practically juggle with it.

However there is a slight issue. The generator cover looks warped as I'm fairly sure I shouldn't be able to see the alternator.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 26-01-13, 11:45 PM   #26
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I do like the "medium" grade of hammer on show in those pics, if you were working on my XJ of similar vintage you would need at least "coarse" maybe even "extra coarse"
Old 26-01-13, 11:53 PM   #27
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
I do like the "medium" grade of hammer on show in those pics, if you were working on my XJ of similar vintage you would need at least "coarse" maybe even "extra coarse"
or the...

Ah f*ck it!!!

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-13, 12:38 AM   #28
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

No, you shouldn't be able to the see the rotor. That said it may not be that tragic, there are seals on both ends of the crank, ( and in the middle too - two stroke - primary compression), so the rotor runs dry.
There should be a gasket there which may not be fitted/fitted properly or perhaps damaged/incomplete, (can't see clearly in pic), even if the cover is a bit wonky you should be able to lap it enough to make it hold a nice fat gasket - no oil in there to leak out means it doesn't need to clamp up that well to be OK.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-13, 01:07 AM   #29
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

I thought the rotor would run dry, but I wouldn't want anything to get in there and I hope rust hasn't found a home on it over the years. Checked the parts diagram and there isn't actually a gasket for it. However I think I bought a replacement for it as I remember it didn't look that smart, though I've just rummaged through the box of spares I have and can't find it at the moment...

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 27-01-13, 06:31 PM   #30
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
Ruffy, if you do find anything let me know as it might be on the list.
PM sent. Sadly not as many leftovers as I thought I had.
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote