SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 09-02-19, 05:52 PM   #11
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Zen Broadband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
Seeker.. how much time have you left on your VM contract?
to be honest, I'm unsure. I took over the account when my Dad passed away in August and wasn't paying too much attention.

According to the network guy, once Virgin admit that there's nothing more they can do and yet you're still not satisfied, you are offered the option of leaving with no penalty.

However, something has happened, starting at about 12:45, all the big spikes that were evident on my BQM graph have gone and I haven't a single packet loss since then. I hesitate to say it's fixed but it is certainly stable at the moment. Once initiated BQM runs continuously, so I'll get a better idea overnight.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 06:52 PM   #12
Bibio
Mega Poster

if the bill is in your name then you are tied into a 12mth contract. no matter what the engineers say i can tell you you will never get out of the contract without paying some kind of fee.

QOS is a very grey area with regards to contracts. unless its a complete denial of service then they will tell you that they are supplying a service and make up some bull about it being more that they are entitled to supply.

good luck...
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 10:40 AM   #13
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
if the bill is in your name then you are tied into a 12mth contract. no matter what the engineers say i can tell you you will never get out of the contract without paying some kind of fee.
We'll see what the manager says on Tuesday. If they fix it I have no problems in staying with them, my major issue is them not believing me when I tell them I have a problem. I don't really care that their diagnostics show that my connection is stable. They have shown me what my connection looks like in real time when I agree that it is running perfectly, what they can't seem to do is look back at the times I tell them when it had errors.

I can link the BQM times, EMCO times and the modem error log timing to my own timed observations of connection interruptions and show them this data.
One of my character flaws is that I get incensed very quickly when people don't believe me. I avoid lying simply because I can never remember what I've said previously. When I use something on a regular basis I notice if it changes - especially when it presents me with a white screen saying "no internet".

Meanwhile: I had 7 hours of smooth, error free operation and then back to interruptions. The latest BQM graph clearly shows the 7 hour error free period and the spike that ends it.
Old 10-02-19, 01:20 PM   #14
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Zen broadband are currently rated with the highest customer satisfaction and have a UK call centre, anyone here using them?
On OP topic, I use Zen domestically (and have done for a number of years, including a number of house moves to different UK locations).

Service wise I would rate them highly. However, I've not really had to deal with the customer service centre much because day-to-day it just seems to work!

Principal down side is that they're far from the cheapest. So far, in the grand scheme of things, I think it's been a price worth paying for quality and reliability of service.

I think they are more built around a business service model rather than targettng mass domestic consumer so there are perhaps some "quirks" to the way they operate. I have a technical electrical/electronic background (though I only consider myself partially-computer-literate in modern terms) and I have also been frustrated in the past by trying to engage with dumb consumer based companies. I, too, have a low tolerance level. Just the fact that you feel like you're having to fight with Virgin would be enough to put me off them. I've never felt patronised by Zen.

Hope this helps.
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 03:02 PM   #15
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
Hope this helps.
yes it does, thanks. Virgin and Zen are about the same price for phone and broadband although Virgin offers a faster connection (which doesn't bother me) I will stay with them if they fix it or if I have penalties for leaving. The thought of having to call Virgin's Indian call centre fills me with dread.

As predicted my new laptop has made no difference. I have both the desktop and laptop running. The EMCO pinging program chimes on the desktop to alert me that the connection is lost and I immediately ask the laptop for a new webpage which, of course, fails. 4 times today, 3 times for 50 secs and one "blink". These dropouts show clearly on the BQM program, I don't why Virgin's diagnostic software is not showing it unless its resolution is too coarse. In the scheme of things 150 secs total errors in 12 hours is not a lot to find (although I did).
Old 14-02-19, 03:06 PM   #16
Seeker
Mega Poster

I've decided to switch to Zen broadband, I'm getting their "superfast unlimited" package. They fail to mention on their website that on top of the £55 start up fee, there's a £70 fee for a new cable to be laid. I'm paying for a landline too, although I'm not sure why since my phone usage (landline or cell) is once every 2 weeks. Apparently Zen's landline phone charges are expensive (they told me!), but they have a package for that...

I've not heard anything from Virgin but since they don't consider I have a problem it isn't surprising. I have just had 2 "no internet" messages in the last 15 minutes and I'm totally reassured to hear that Simon, the Virgin network guy, says I am not suffering any drop outs at all. It's good to know when I'm awaiting reconnection. It's only for a few seconds each time though and the Virgin local manager seemed to think that that was acceptable. I hope he doesn't work on aircraft.
Old 01-03-19, 09:49 AM   #17
Seeker
Mega Poster

Update: I've been using Zen for a week now without any problems. The speed has settled at 72Mb/s up, 19Mb/s down and pages seem to load quicker than with Virgin's 100Mb/s up, 6Mb/s down and I chatted for an hour to Arkansas via skype without a single issue (I hadn't been able to do that with Virgin in a long while).
Old 01-03-19, 10:11 AM   #18
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Surely you mean 72Mbps down and 19Mbps up? VDSL is normally faster download than upload.

Good speeds by the way, lucky you!
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-19, 10:18 AM   #19
daktulos

I moved away from Virgin a long time ago and never looked back. Apart from the terrible support, and the contention on the cable modems, the up/down ratio has always been the most frustrating feature.

In a perfect world, you would need to use 2Mbps upstream just to download at 100Mbps. In the real world, it's likely to be much higher. As soon as you need the upstream for something else (e.g. checking e-mail or making an HTTP request) the downstream gets killed. I can't imagine how bad it would be if you wanted to do a backup, upload to flickr or youtube, etc.

The 80/20 ratio on BT/Zen fibre gives much more headroom. I just wish that the upstream bandwidth was listed as a headline figure, rather than hidden away by the providers, it really is that important.

Virgin also caused the police to think I beat up my wife ... but that's a different story.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-19, 10:23 AM   #20
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Surely you mean 72Mbps down and 19Mbps up?
yes, I did mean that - typed pre-espresso.