SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

EuroTour An area to discuss potential European trips, and to ask advice about long distance touring.

Old 05-01-04, 03:34 PM   #11
RenamedMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Rich
I may be being thick here, but are we talking about an overnight ferry? If so we are going to need at least decent seats (like those comfy ones you can book) with the amount of riding we have the following day, don't you think? Personally I never sleep properly just crashing somewhere. I suppose the wimpy like myself could book cabin.
Rich
Cabins aren't that much these days and a very good idea bearing in mind the 600 odd miles we will have to do the next day, I'd very much like to be alert as possible.

In regards to fines in France. They really don't like you going fast though villages. My mum lives in France and has said that they hide out just on the outskirts of villages/towns... so beware!
Old 05-01-04, 03:44 PM   #12
Anonymous

I think its a good idea.

And yes, in my experience of nearly being caught many times in my car they love to hang around by those funny red edged village signs, and are great fans of the radar gun.

But hey, we are careful and responsible really.
Old 05-01-04, 05:23 PM   #13
Jelster

1) We are talking an evening ferry (9:15) and an overnight stay in Calais. It works out cheaper than an overnight ferry.

2) Last year we always slowed down in the villages. In fact we had a friendly wave from a couple of police motorcyclists as we went through one village.
Old 05-01-04, 05:51 PM   #14
Anonymous

Oh, ok. Sorry (I always say sorry when people number their replies...!), I was forgetting that a ferry doesnt take that long down your parts, over here it takes hours, of course.
Old 05-01-04, 06:14 PM   #15
RenamedMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelster
1) We are talking an evening ferry (9:15) and an overnight stay in Calais. It works out cheaper than an overnight ferry.

2) Last year we always slowed down in the villages. In fact we had a friendly wave from a couple of police motorcyclists as we went through one village.
1) Of course, Dover. I'm used to the 9 hour crossing from Portsmouth.

2) The majority of "Flicks" in France seem to have their grudge against cagers, mainly because most bikers are thoughful when it comes to riding through villages.

Oh no, hang on, we're thugs aren't we?!