SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-01-09, 07:17 PM   #1
twopots

Default Removing cover to front sprocket

Bit of a silly question but...

Tried to give the area around the front sprocket a bit of a clean this morning, but came a bit stuck when trying to remove the plastic cover, can't seem to get it past the gear shift arm, do I need to remove this first? Not much information on removing the cover in the Haynes Manual, so was expecting it to be quite straight forward
Old 18-01-09, 07:22 PM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Removing cover to front sprocket

Yes I believe you will need to undo to 10mm bolt that holds the clamp in place. Loostening it's not enough, it needs to be removed. Do yourself a favour and mark where this clamp lines up on the shaft before you do or your gear lever will probably be in a different position when you re-assemble.

Jambo
Old 18-01-09, 07:27 PM   #3
twopots

Thanks Jambo

I'll give that a go,
Old 18-01-09, 09:03 PM   #4
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Yes I believe you will need to undo to 10mm bolt that holds the clamp in place. Loostening it's not enough, it needs to be removed.
I can't comment for curvy's but for pointies, if you learn how to wiggle the cover correctly, you don't need to remove the gear selector arm.

Getting it back on is more tricky than getting it off, but with practice, it's possible quite easily. Then you don't have to faff with marking it, removing then refitting later.
Old 19-01-09, 12:14 PM   #5
Steve_God
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
I can't comment for curvy's but for pointies, if you learn how to wiggle the cover correctly, you don't need to remove the gear selector arm.

Getting it back on is more tricky than getting it off, but with practice, it's possible quite easily. Then you don't have to faff with marking it, removing then refitting later.
When I needed to take it off I couldn't find any possible way to get it off without removing the selector arm... how did you do it? What angle was it at?
Draw us a diagram
SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008
Steve_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-09, 12:23 PM   #6
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Quote:

Comes off my curvy with a bit off jiggling ( which is impossible to describe ) and as Baph says, replacing it is a test of dexterity & sheer bloody-mindedness. Just try to avoid pushing the screws right through until it is lined up.
Best of luck!
punyXpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-09, 12:31 PM   #7
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:

+1
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-09, 12:38 PM   #8
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopots View Post
can't seem to get it past the gear shift arm, do I need to remove this first?
No, make sure you have undone all three mounting bolts for the cover and it will come away with a jiggle. There is no need to remove the gear shift arm on either a Pointy or Curvy.
Old 19-01-09, 12:43 PM   #9
Ceri JC

Quote:

+1. I've never even found it remotely difficult. Don't think I've had the gear shifter off in 45K miles. That is, aside from the time it fell off early on in the bike's life courtesy of Suzuki's much denied, but incredibly prevelant problem of not tightening it at PDI/first service.
Old 19-01-09, 01:49 PM   #10
tactcom7

don't do what i did and put the gear selector on upside down, they don't like trying to set off in 6th gear.