SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-12-04, 03:38 PM   #1
emc_andy

Default Running poorly - carb stuck on choke.

I've had my 650S since new Dec 2000 and I've not really had any problems after 25000 miles. I'm still on the original chain/sprockets as I use a Scottoiler. I'm not too gentle with the 650 either, I use the 650 as the daily hack and have used it on track days at the streets of willow, CA. (Have a ZX-10R for the weekends).
About 2 weeks ago, since it was cold in the morning (35F is cold for San Diego) I started to use the choke in the morning. The bike has been running crap and the choke cable was 'tight' to use.
Lubed the cable/handle bar area - still the same and running even more crappy/lumpy.
Decide to look at the choke plunger in the carb bodies. The rear cylinder carb is easy to get to, front cylinder almost impossible without removing the complete carb. The rear carb plunger was gunged up and the return spring almost inoperable. I cleaned it all out and checked that the choke cable operated smoothly. Just something else to check if you have starting/running problems.
This morning - what a difference - starts easy and runs smoooooth.
Andy in SD
[/b]
Old 23-12-04, 04:20 PM   #2
embee
Mega Poster

Hi Andy
yep, that back choke cable end seemed to be a real problem.

Mine was only a few months old when it started to play up. Found white crusty stuff round the cable end/plunger, which I suspect came from the flux used to solder the cable end at manufacture.

Don't know why it seemed to affect the back one more than the front, but anyway it's been no trouble since it was cleaned and lubed.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-04, 07:42 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

Mine was much the same... The front spring was a bit twisted, meaning it wasn't putting as much force on as it should, while the back spring was badly rusted and there was a rust buildup on teh carb which was causing the spring to jam...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-04, 04:39 AM   #4
emc_andy

Default front carb

hey Northwind - I'm actually from Edinburgh although now living in San Diego. Better weather here in SD than dreich Scotland!!
I will definitely check the front plunger in the carb as well although it is a bitch to get access without removing the complete carb.
Old 24-12-04, 04:48 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

Yup, if I was going in there I'd take the carbs offf, though not out- I'd just lift them a little. And it's bloody freezing here! Rode up to Hillend today to get some snowballs, then rode bcak to my place and threw them at my brother
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-11, 04:24 PM   #6
zorroman62

Default Re: Running crap - carb stuck on choke!

Hi I Have been storing my friends sv650s 2000 over last summer and this winter. I have been keeping the battery charged and occasionally starting the bike. The last 2 times i have not been able to turn the choke off even when running. The bike wont rev cleanly and pops and splutters a bit if you try to rev over 7000rpm. I thought I would take it for a little run, but it wouldnt pull up my drive very well so had to slip the clutch and coach it up some 80mtrs to a flat track. Its as if it is only running on 1 cylinder. There is hardly any smoke from the exhaust. Even when the engine is hot i struggle to turn off the choke as it stalls almost straightaway. The fuel tank was on reserve so I put another 4 ltrs of fuel in but made no difference.

Anyone got any new ideas please...cheers...And Happy New Year to ALL )