SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-01-09, 03:14 PM   #1
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Default Just pulled a muscle in my back whilst pushing the bike on pebbles/gravel... ADVICE HELP

took my bike for a 10 min ride to tickle the internals and circulate the oil, fill up with fresh fuel and put some air in the tyres. I've just got back and decided to put the bike in the back garden instead of back in the garage since I was going to be in and out.

I had my left hand on the left handle bar and my right hand on the main seat (due to seat cowl and no grab rail) - done it hundreds of times when moving the bike around but this one time, the pebbles gave a bit of resistance so I pushed harder and the bike finally moved but something pulled in my back.

It's definitely muscular since it hurts when I move my extend my right arm horizontally outwards and if I bend over just a couple of degrees, it twinges like feck (so not like a slipped/ripped/popped disc thingy). I've whacked an ibuprofen down but was wondering, am I best carrying on moving about doing my best (instead of going stiff and making it even more painful) OR am I best off resting it for the day and seeing how it feels tomorrow?

Any advice plz ****s sake.

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-09, 03:38 PM   #2
shonadoll

Default Re: Just pulled a muscle in my back whilst pushing the bike on pebbles/gravel... ADVICE HELP

Don't rest completely or it will seize up. Don't use heat/hot baths either- an ice pack works best, or some freezing spray.

Take as much ibuprofen as you can but make sure and eat while taking them or your stomach will complain.
Old 03-01-09, 05:34 PM   #3
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Default Re: Just pulled a muscle in my back whilst pushing the bike on pebbles/gravel... ADVICE HELP

cheers shona - vicky had a quick feel and found a lumpy muscle so gave it a good seeing to... Almost back to normal now she gave it a right kicking (literally)

thanks for the advice

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-09, 07:43 PM   #4
-Ralph-

If you get that again, go for a twisty back road ride on the bike. It really sorts by back out when it's sore. Usually if mine is sore is the same thing, muscles in knots, the small movements you make constantly on the bike seems to straighten everything out again after a couple of hours.
Old 03-01-09, 09:47 PM   #5
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

For f##ks sake
Old 03-01-09, 10:47 PM   #6
Magnum

Heat cream is a real good relief for muscular pain. You will need someone to rub it into your back for you, because you obviously can't do it yourself.
Old 04-01-09, 02:27 AM   #7
joshmac

Thought northerners were supposed to be 'ard nuts hehe
Old 04-01-09, 02:51 AM   #8
Kilted Ginger

No heat ice for the first couple of days to minimize inflamation, only use heat if you are going to exercise it then ice post exercise again. Keep moving, keeps the blood flowing and allows healing, lying down to it only makes it worse. If it persists either a chiropractor or physio, stay away from gp
Old 04-01-09, 07:33 AM   #9
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Gel ice packs. (pharmacy). You can get them below freezing but still supple to mould around.
Take care mind, I freeze burnt myself with one last year, its not nice.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-09, 09:45 AM   #10
joshmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersaw View Post
Gel ice packs. (pharmacy). You can get them below freezing but still supple to mould around.
Take care mind, I freeze burnt myself with one last year, its not nice.
Wrapping it in a tea towel will stop that happening...