SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-02-21, 07:34 PM   #1
gadget

Default Alternative screen for a curvy

Hey all, hoping I'm not the only one, does anyone here have the same problem as me concerning the horrendous wind noise when riding my curvy 'S' ! I thought at first it may have been my new lid (Scorpion exo) but when I raise my head as far up as I can without letting go of the bars the noise all but disappears so definitely not the lid, getting right down behind the screen isn't an option as its so uncomfortable and achieves nothing, It's so bad that even when wearing ear plugs the wind noise is really annoying and when I stop and take my lid off my ears are ringing like I'd just been to an ACDC concert! I've even tried ear plugs and wearing a balaclava type thing as double insulation but to no avail.
So ... has anyone fitted/used one of those 'double bubble' type screens and noticed a significant drop in wind noise? Or are they just a styling thing.
Cheers all.

Last edited by gadget; 28-02-21 at 07:37 PM.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-21, 07:39 PM   #2
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Alternative screen for a curvy

I’ve had a double bubble on mine since I got my curvy 11 years ago. It’s never been that noisy, but I don’t know how it compares with a standard screen as I’ve never ridden with one on the bike.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-21, 07:57 PM   #3
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
I’ve had a double bubble on mine since I got my curvy 11 years ago. It’s never been that noisy, but I don’t know how it compares with a standard screen as I’ve never ridden with one on the bike.
Never had a bike that the wind noise is so bad on tbh, so that's why I need a 'before and after' before I splash out on a new screen. Having said that, my SVS is a keeper so hook or by crook I'll have to get something sorted.
Old 01-03-21, 08:23 AM   #4
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
Never had a bike that the wind noise is so bad on tbh, so that's why I need a 'before and after' before I splash out on a new screen. Having said that, my SVS is a keeper so hook or by crook I'll have to get something sorted.
you might want to mention your height since wind noise/buffeting depends on your position in the airstream. Advice from a 6' person won't help a 5' person. (imho).
Old 01-03-21, 08:59 AM   #5
Luckypants
Mega Poster

I haven't had my curvy for over 15 now, but I do recall the difference fitting a DB screen made. The standard screen throws the air up into the rider's chest and head, for most people this meant buffeting and noise at highway speeds. The extra height of a DB screen pushes the air higher, over the rider's head. For me at 5'9" (178cm) this made the bike much quieter to ride.

I fitted an F.Fabri DB screen to my curvy and was not disappointed. I rate F.Fabri and have fitted these to my subsequent bikes.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Last edited by Luckypants; 03-03-21 at 08:13 AM. Reason: spelling
Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-21, 10:11 PM   #6
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

The standard screen is rubbish, it just blasts the wind into you. I've got a Fabbri double bubble and it's like night an day. There are crap DB's as well that make no difference, do a search (waaayyyyy back) for the threads about them, that's how I chose this one.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-21, 11:11 AM   #7
embee
Mega Poster

I have a D-B type on my curvy, it was fitted shortly after I first got the bike new back in 2001 (twenty years ago? Where did that go?). It's pretty low as screens go, certainly compared to my other touring style bikes, and TBH wind noise is not really an issue with it unlike what can happen with high style screens. I can't remember what the std screen was like for noise/wind loading, but the D-B is OK. It is by NUVO.
Old 03-03-21, 06:13 PM   #8
gadget

Well, I'm 6ft tall so upper torso sticks pretty much right in the wind blast, not concerned about the wind pressure, the gripe is about the noise around my lid, it's pretty horrendous tbh. I've heard some good things about the 'F. FABRI' screens but it's always good to get 1st hand opinions on a particular product.
Thanks for the 'heads up' (excuse the pun)! and suggestions. Think I'll go for the Fabric screen & hopefully will go some way to quietening things down a bit.��