SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-01-12, 08:07 PM   #1
joshwalker094
Mega Poster

Question Paint touch up help.

hey guys decided to use some touch up paint on the nose cone, well layered the blue a little too much so its gone abit darker, but allready put the couple layers of clearcoat on, and also the areas ive touch up arent excatly smooth, so will good old t cut fix the problem ?? was going to t cut the rest of the nose cone aswell
joshwalker094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-12, 09:59 PM   #2
joshwalker094
Mega Poster

Default Re: touch up help

anyone ?
Old 27-01-12, 11:21 PM   #3
SpikeTM

Try Farecla rubbing compound on it then after u got it down close to where u want it at mix Farecla and a little t-cut together and it should smooth it over nicely
Old 28-01-12, 12:23 AM   #4
joshwalker094
Mega Poster

Where could I buy this rubbing compound from?
Old 28-01-12, 01:01 AM   #5
1210tech

You need to flat it with some wet and dry, 2000 grit should give you a nice finish but don't press too hard. As far as polishing compounds go I'd stay away from t-cut and farecla, these products are so out dated and will do more damage and won't give you a scratch free finish. Search for Menzerna polishing compounds on the net, these are aluminium oxide based and break down as you work them to give a scratch free finish. To remove the sanding scratches there are two products in the Menzerna range that I would recommend that you can buy quite cheaply in 250ml bottles. Start off with PO85RD3.02 after the sanding stage to remove the sanding scratches and then step up to PO85RD to refine the finish even further and give you a nice glossy shine ready to wax.

Of course these products were designed to be used with polishing machines but you can use them by hand, it just takes longer. When you buy the compounds buy foam applicator pads to apply the compounds and work them and then buff off with a microfibre.
Old 28-01-12, 08:41 AM   #6
joshwalker094
Mega Poster

Cheers, do you think that will sort the colour out aswell?
Old 28-01-12, 10:44 AM   #7
1210tech

It won't change the colour if that's what you mean, you need to try to match the colour as best you can in the first place before applying it to the panel. If the colour is completely wrong then I can only suggest sanding it all back and starting again or removing the whole panel and getting it all resprayed.
Old 28-01-12, 12:14 PM   #8
chrisinflight

Hi Josh, Im assuming you are working on the scrape on the RHS fairing. From what I saw its very rough showing the black fibreglass. That should have been sanded down smooth first starting with coarse paper working down to smooth. Possibly adding a fine body filler instead of sanding all the coarse bits so much it goes out of shape. Then a primer coat, more sanding, maybe another primer coat, more sanding. The colour can be added next then clearcoat x2. Thats how I would do it and is by no means professional advice LOL.
cheers,
Old 28-01-12, 01:26 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Paint touch up help.

in the past i have found that by the time you have bought all the crap to do the job it's easier and not much more to just get a proper job done by a professional. touching up stone chips and such is fine but larger items like big scratches get your local 'scratch and dent' guy out.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-12, 11:00 PM   #10
joshwalker094
Mega Poster

Default Re: Paint touch up help.

christian, im not repairing that fairing fairing, i bought a new nose cone, its perfect part from the odd scratch, so i thought id touch them up, bad idea haha ive made a hash of it.
how much should i be expexting to pay to get someone to prep and paint a nose cone ?
also how much for a left rear fairing with some deep scratches