SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 06-08-12, 06:39 PM   #1
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Professional and Career Development Loans

I will be looking to apply for one of these to fund my college course in AAT Level 2 & 3.
Has anyone applied for one before, and can give me any tips/hints/help in regards to what i should expect.

TIA

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-12, 10:43 PM   #2
EssexDave

Default Re: Professional and Career Development Loans

PM'ed
Old 07-08-12, 10:11 AM   #3
timwilky
Mega Poster

Daughter did it to fund her masters and BVC. Still has to be paid back even if you do not get the high paying gigs at the end. Having a 20 grand loan to pay pack is a headache for anyone starting life on their own. Think carefully before committing.
Old 07-08-12, 10:41 AM   #4
Runako

The most common cause of disputes arise due to courses which are misleading or misdescribed. Most noteworthy is that any issues you may have with the course could be seperate from your obligation to repay the loan. Therefore its important that you read all the prospectus and descriptive information in detail, including the terms and conditions, and ask as many relevant questions as possible - preferably in writing - before agreeing to the finance.

As for the loan itself, the key information to note is the final amount payable. Budget wise, you must ensure you can afford all the payments over the life of the loan based on 'current' income. This sounds obvious but, as Tim has stated, if you plan to suppliment repayments with the Job you hope to have in 4/5 years time, then you're looking for trouble as being unable to re-pay the loan on completion of the course (due to not finding a job and circumstances changing) is the second most common cause of dispute.

Can't say much about the course, but I would strongly suggest that you seek a bit of legal advice on the loan before signing if you're unsure about anything.
Old 07-08-12, 05:37 PM   #5
agy

used to have one a few years back. pretty easy process. might get another to study some more. if you have any specific questions ask away
Old 07-08-12, 05:52 PM   #6
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexDave View Post
PM'ed
replied
Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Daughter did it to fund her masters and BVC. Still has to be paid back even if you do not get the high paying gigs at the end. Having a 20 grand loan to pay pack is a headache for anyone starting life on their own. Think carefully before committing.
thankfully mine is no where near the large!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runako View Post
The most common cause of disputes arise due to courses which are misleading or misdescribed. Most noteworthy is that any issues you may have with the course could be seperate from your obligation to repay the loan. Therefore its important that you read all the prospectus and descriptive information in detail, including the terms and conditions, and ask as many relevant questions as possible - preferably in writing - before agreeing to the finance.

As for the loan itself, the key information to note is the final amount payable. Budget wise, you must ensure you can afford all the payments over the life of the loan based on 'current' income. This sounds obvious but, as Tim has stated, if you plan to suppliment repayments with the Job you hope to have in 4/5 years time, then you're looking for trouble as being unable to re-pay the loan on completion of the course (due to not finding a job and circumstances changing) is the second most common cause of dispute.

Can't say much about the course, but I would strongly suggest that you seek a bit of legal advice on the loan before signing if you're unsure about anything.
Mine won't be over a long time or a large amount, should be pretty comfortable with it as far as things go. I'm getting hlp from the college when i do so that it is done right.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote