SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-07-21, 12:53 PM   #2351
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt alex View Post
Just got my e-marked bar end mirrors, so I pulled off the "better looking" 75mm mirrors and banged on the new legal sized mirrors.
On a custom bike it doesn't feel right but I don't want to attract the wrong attention
I wasn't aware that of that legislation. I didn't think you were even required to have mirrors though you'd be daft not to. I understand that manufacturers have to fit them.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-21, 01:54 PM   #2352
gt alex

Yes there are a stack of rules depending on the year of the bike some only require 1 mirror mine being 2002 must have 2, and there are minimum size is smaller if convex. I would have to look it up again to get the correct size info I think from memory the smaller convex size is about 85 square cm.
gt alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-21, 11:09 PM   #2353
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
I wasn't aware that of that legislation. I didn't think you were even required to have mirrors though you'd be daft not to. I understand that manufacturers have to fit them.

I definitely need mirrors , don't know about others but I couldn't turn my head around far enough to see behind properly .
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-21, 07:58 AM   #2354
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
I definitely need mirrors , don't know about others but I couldn't turn my head around far enough to see behind properly .

You need an injection of Tawny owl stem cells ( other owls are available ), then you may get 360 degree neck movement

I think pushbikes should require rear view mirrors as well, if only to see the line of traffic behind them ( if they are interested ) - I thought pushbikes had to have a bell or 'audible warning' on them, many times I have been shaken by a bike whizzing past me on footpaths or 'shared cycle lanes' LOL, often weaving between groups of walkers.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-21, 09:36 AM   #2355
daktulos

I re-glued the tape which had come free from the seam in my trousers causing me a damp crotch.

The glue seems to have done a good job, I'll sew up the liner this evening and will hopefully remain dry tomorrow!
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-21, 11:39 PM   #2356
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
You need an injection of Tawny owl stem cells ( other owls are available ), then you may get 360 degree neck movement

Last edited by svenrico; 02-07-21 at 11:40 PM.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-21, 11:09 AM   #2357
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post

I think it's the age old 'if it's fitted it needs to be safe' . You don't need seatbelts in some classic cars but if you fit them and they are slightly frayed or not e-marked - FAIL
Old 08-07-21, 08:02 PM   #2358
Seeker
Mega Poster

I did an oil change to full synthetic oil on the Z900RS. I was apprehensive because several people have experienced a possible airlock in the oil pump and so the oil pressure light remains on (and presumably the oil pressure is low). I didn't allow it to drain over lunch like I normally would and I prefilled the filter which some people did and still had the problem but mine was ok.

I also reversed the handlebar risers since they're asymmetric and bring the bars slightly closer for those of us that are vertically challenged. I don't think Kawasaki intended it as a feature and the manual clearly states which way round they should be fitted but it seems a popular mod on the forum.
Old 08-07-21, 09:50 PM   #2359
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I prefilled the filter
I've never considered doing that on the SV, although there never seems to be a need to as the oil light goes out within a couple of seconds of the first start after the oil / filter change.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-21, 07:09 AM   #2360
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
I've never considered doing that on the SV, although there never seems to be a need to as the oil light goes out within a couple of seconds of the first start after the oil / filter change.
Funny you should mention that because I got shot down when I questioned all the "allowances" I need to make for the Zed in the forum.

1) 2500 rpm fast idle when cold (easily fixed - but Kawa have marked the adjusters). I stuck a tywrap under the spring (another forum member fix).
2) Clutch feels "weird" with cold oil (like it gently grabs and releases when setting off). It's a "slip and assist" clutch with very light pull.
3) Snatchy throttle (can be fixed by ECU re-flash)
4) Harsh suspension which, despite all the adjustments, is no more comfortable than the SV.
5) The oil change airlock potential problem (mine was fine).
6) Clunk when changing from 6th to 5th (irrespective of speed, rev matching etc). This is by far the most irritating for me - I pride myself on quiet, smooth gearchanges but they are not achievable from 6th to 5th on this bike. I've even tried leaving it in 6th to 20mph and it still clunks.

I pointed out that my £5600 SV650 didn't have these issues so why should my £10400 Z900RS? I was informed that these were trivial issues and I should go ride. I may have joined a cult.