SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-11-05, 12:47 PM   #1
Kate

Default Me goes tarmac surfing

Yep, I came off this morning. I'm ok, just a little battered and bruised and on first impressions the bike isn't too bad either.

Going along Kent House Road towards the A212 in Sydneham this morning, its a wide residential road full of parked cars and side roads. Yes, you can guess what happened can't you.

Was coming down a gentle slope doing about 25, 30 mph max when a car pulls out of a side road on the right. I try and do an emergency stop on the slippery road as he doesn't appear to be stopping. He then spots me and puts his brakes on. At that point I don't notice what he is doing as my bike is imitating a fish tail and I realise I'm not going to hold it this time so down I go.

I was heading towards the parked cars by this point and I was **** scared that I was going to hit one as that would really hurt. Anyway, I hit the tarmac on my front and surfed down the road somehow sliding around so that when I came to a stop (right next to the parked car) I was facing the car that had pulled out on me. The bike went further and slide to a halt between 2 parked cars.

I really don't know how I didn't hit anything.

No witnesses, there was a guy who was packing his van but he only looked up once he heard my bike scraping across the road. He is a biker and came rushing across to make sure I was ok and to ring the police.

In the end the police didn't attend as its just a minor accident. The guy who pulled out said it wasn't his fault 'you were miles from me when you fell off'.

Can't fault NCI though, they came out and recovered the bike within the hour with a van specifically fitted for bike recovery.

I had RnG crash bungs fitted and they really did the job - just a couple of minor scratches to the body work. But will need a new clutch lever, gear lever, footpeg, indicator and bar end. And anything else Joe finds when he takes a look.

The guy isn't about to admit liability and as the damage is minor, I'm not sure its worth going through insurance? I rang RSS and they said that it would be best not to involve the insurance company.

Here's a pic of how the bike ended up, excuse the crap quality, my hands were shaking.

Btw, if you hadn't seen the marks on the road, the pic is taken from the angle I was coming from.
Old 30-11-05, 12:54 PM   #2
Grinch

I would go contact your insurance if I was you.. did you get his details?
If your insurance won't have anything to do with it then give White Dalton a call...

The fact that his manover caused you to do a emergency stop makes him liable. Why should you pay for his lack of awareness...
Who's RSS... and do you have legal cover with your insurance?
Old 30-11-05, 12:55 PM   #3
skidmarx

Flippin' heck! So THATS why I refuse to go out if there's a frost about....... Hope it all sorts itself out, and you feel better later on in the pub (where else after that?) I used to live in Kent house road! nearby now and the roads this morning where perfect for curling. GOOD LUCK!
Old 30-11-05, 12:55 PM   #4
Ceri JC

Ouch, sorry to hear this. I've often wondered what the legal/insurance position is when someone makes you swerve/brake and you have an off without actually dinging their vehicle. Hope you get the bike sorted and glad your injuries were minor.

Get well soon to you and the bike.
Old 30-11-05, 12:56 PM   #5
thor

Oh no!

Bummer - glad you are ok though Kate.

Indicator - I can give you one of my old ones, but you will have to wire it in yourself as I cut off the OEM connector for my mini ones.

Lol, the SV even looks good when viewed from underneath!
Old 30-11-05, 12:58 PM   #6
Kate

Yep, got all details, and there is also a police report knocking about somewhere.

I really don't know. If there is nothing nasty waiting to be found, then it shouldn't take too much to get it back on the road. Also, I'm really not sure its actually worth the hassle of involving the insurance company and having a claim on there with the possibility of taking away my potential year NCB.

I may well change my mind but right now I just feel kinda down and just want to get the bike up and running again.
Old 30-11-05, 12:59 PM   #7
Kate

hmm, that reminds me Thor, I actually have spare indicators already. I wonder what else is tucked away in the spare room?
Old 30-11-05, 01:00 PM   #8
thor

Ha ha ha - an autocom headset perchance?
Old 30-11-05, 01:03 PM   #9
Grinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate
Yep, got all details, and there is also a police report knocking about somewhere.

I really don't know. If there is nothing nasty waiting to be found, then it shouldn't take too much to get it back on the road. Also, I'm really not sure its actually worth the hassle of involving the insurance company and having a claim on there with the possibility of taking away my potential year NCB.

I may well change my mind but right now I just feel kinda down and just want to get the bike up and running again.
Well you don't have to go though your insurance company to get bike fixed.. and the fact that the whole thing was not your fault will mean its got nothing to do with your NCB.. It only affects the NCB if your found at fault. If your still not sure give White Dalton a call, Wayne.. he's my solisitor.. on SV1000 and just mention I put you on to him he should be able to advise you.
Did you damage any of you clothing??
Old 30-11-05, 01:05 PM   #10
helen

Too right your hands were shaking!

Glad you're alright Kate.