SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-09-06, 05:38 PM   #1
Rangerman

Default Lower Fairing?

O.K., I am new to this forum. Where do you buy the lower fairings for the sv? Which one is the easiest to assemble? Which looks the best, in your opinion
Old 24-09-06, 06:03 PM   #2
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

I think the answers to most of your questions are the Suzuki ones.
If money is no object then just buy new from your dealer and you'll get a perfect colour match and full fitting kit.
If money's tight and you can wait til the right colour comes up with full fitting kit then search eBAy.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-06, 06:04 PM   #3
bikerskez

Silver is the best and fastest, got mine off ebay
Old 24-09-06, 06:44 PM   #4
hovis

what year is your bike? as above if u can aford them get suzuki ones £400 if not ebay from £50
Old 24-09-06, 07:01 PM   #5
Rangerman

Actually, I don't have the bike yet. I just wanted to see all the options I can get with this bike, because I was told it was a very great beginner bike. I will also be riding this in rain and I need to know how to stop the bike from misfiring, or cutting out, from the rain. I really like the looks of this bike with the fairing attached. I really love silver, like the guy that posted his bike above me. When I am able to ride, I will buy this bike, then look for the fairing. I just wanted to know where to get this at. Is their any tips or tricks I should know about before I buy this bike. I am talking about a sv650s. Thanks
Old 24-09-06, 07:35 PM   #6
hovis

Old 24-09-06, 07:37 PM   #7
hovis

the top one has suzuki lowers .this one has aftermarket lowers
Old 24-09-06, 08:47 PM   #8
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I'd agree with what Stu said, the Suzuki OEM lowers are the best looking ones to buy. Your dealer should be able to help with this, they arent cheap though so its worth trawling through ebay to see what you can find.

As for the riding in the rain issue, its easy to sort out. Its been covered a few times. but basically you either need

1. A fenda extenda, you attach this to the front mudguard, its extends the length of the mudguard and stops mud, muck and water being thrown up onto the front spark plug HT lead.

2. Northwind recomends some Non Conducting silicone grease / sealant stuff, which you use to seal the plug / HT lead, he reckons this does the trick and I'd be inclined to believe him.

I've got a fenda extenda on my bike and it cured the misfiring in the rain problems I had, I prefer the look of the bike without the fenda extenda fitted though. So see if you can find some grease. One tip to bear in mind is to keep the drain hole clear on the RHS of the front cylinder, if it gets blocked with dirt etc, then there is no escape route for the water to drain away from if it does collect around the front spark plug.

Don't let this issue with the SV put you off it really is easy to sort out.

Theres a few other things to bear in mind IMHO these are

1. Look at the front forks are they corroded and chipped, This is pretty common on a high milleage SV thats been used in all weathers. Its a good indication of what the bikes been used for and also if the milleage is correct. i.e if the forks are chipped and manky but the milleage on the bike is low then start asking questions. Same goes for the handlebars and footpegs.

2. Have a look at the disks and pads. What condition are they in. SV's are known for the brakes sticking on if its not been looked after. Again this is especially relevant if its been used through winter and neglected.

3. Look at the chain and sprocket and the tyres. how much life do they have left in them, and slack worn chain with hooked teeth on the sprocket mean that its going to want changing soon.

3. Electrics, some people including me have had trouble with blown fuses caused by the wiring loom rubbing on the tank. So ask about that to.

4. If its a private sale, if you can get a sneaky peak in the owners garage, have a look for stuff like, paddock stands, a good set of tools, cleaning products, chain lube etc on the shelf, It'll give you an idea of how the current owner looks after the bike.

Dont be put off by high milleage as long as you can see that the servicing has been done, either by stamps in the service manual or receipts for parts used. A high milleage bike thats been ridden is better than a low milleage bike thats been stood for ages and has got all seized up.

Use things like worn tyres, chain and sprocket as bargaining tools to get the price down. Make sure you do a HPI check to make sure that theres no outstanding finance or the bike hasnt been involved in a accident at some point in its life.

Remember that non standard parts dont increase the value of the bike. So dont let the bling bits distract you from the of the bike, better IMHO to buy a mint standard bike than sh*tter with loads of aftermarket parts bolted onto it. Things like a hugger, a scotoiler are sensible modifications though as is a race can but only if you like the sound / look of it.

If you're not sure, Walk away from the bike, or take somebody with you who does know what they are looking at. Make sure you look at plenty of bikes and never buy the first one you look at.

HTH

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-06, 09:06 PM   #9
Rangerman

Thanks, I will take that into consideration. When I look at the sprocket, how do I know if it is worn, I think if it's worn the tips of the sprockets will be rounded? correct me if I'm wrong. When you mean chips out of the forks, do mean like rocks hitting the forks?
Old 24-09-06, 09:11 PM   #10
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

The sprocket teeth get "hooked" on the end of them where they get worn, you'll be able to spot it, its quite obvious when you compare a worn sprocket with a new one. Its kind of hard to explain, but it looks a bit like a mishapen sharks fin rather than a point it has a funny "hook" shape on the end of it.

Re : forks, thats it, what happens is that small stones etc chip the protective laquer off the forks then water gets in under the laquer and it makes the laquer bubble away from the paint, Its nothing serious it just doesnt look very pretty.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote