SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-10-06, 12:22 PM   #1
igor

Default Crash Bungs

I know there's been many threads on this before but I thought I'd add this one in after road testing the OEM crash bungs from Suzuki.

Many people had put in a few threads that the Suzuki ones aren't very good and that R&G etc. are much better.

Well, last Friday on my way to work early in the morning one dosy pedestrian walked out from the front of a truck right into my path. I managed to brake and swerve enough to just glance him leaving him unhurt, but on the greasy wet roads I found myself sliding along the tarmac accompanied by a resounding crunch as the bike touch down (which hurt alot more than the tarmac did)

I'm glad to say though that the Suzuki crash bungs performed superbly. There was no damage at all to the frame, lower or upper fairings. The mounting has bent a little but that seemed to absorb the impact.

Damage was only the bar end and footpegs. The long and the short of it is though that the OEM bungs seem to work well.
Old 16-10-06, 01:11 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

They're a bit like the old R&Gs- when they work, they work. When they don't, they don't My mate Stewart was the same, he's had two minor drops and they've done well. Other people find they fail in really soft drops, and can even cause more damage- breaking lower fairings where they'd usualyl just scratch. Again, much like the old R&Gs- I binned mine at 70 and the old design worked a charm, but that wasn't everyone's experience.

There's bungs out there that protect as well as yours did just there, without the fail rate, that's why so many people are so down on them.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-06, 01:16 PM   #3
Law

Glad the Suzuki bungs worked. I use R&G's myself.

The only bung I haven't heard a horror story about so far is the Motosliders I think (any others?).

Any bung I think is better than nothing.
Old 16-10-06, 02:27 PM   #4
kwak zzr

i surpose with any crash bung its how you crash that matters, when? if? it happens its just fingers crossed.
Old 16-10-06, 03:27 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

Yep, but some need more luck than others
Old 16-10-06, 06:25 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Anyone tested Moko bungs?They look like the old RGs and bolt through the engine,but I would like a damage report if anyone has one.
Old 16-10-06, 06:47 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

Heard good things about them, but never tried them. I was going to but I had trouble finding a reliable supplier. They were veyr cheap for a while too.
Old 16-10-06, 08:30 PM   #8
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I got a set very cheap on Ebay and fitted them to my son's S.They look the part and seem to stick out a long way.No lowers on his bike so no problems there.
Old 16-10-06, 08:45 PM   #9
SVeeedy Gonzales

I had R&G's on my first SV which got written off (and the R&G's were mangled - nothing could have saved it), but the second one had motrax DHM's and I left them on there. So far it's been down 3 times - once on ice and twice in ham-fisted drops, and each of those 3 times the bungs have saved all but minor damage and a broken front indicator every time. It depends largely on the crash/drop - cheapo DHM's are better than nothing and no bung will save your bike in some circumstances. Just don't go without because the "best" ones are too expensive!