SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

BSB & WSB Goto BSB Website
Goto WSB Website

Old 29-08-11, 05:03 PM   #1
Kenzie

Default BSB Rider death

I've just been flicking through Ride while the radio is on in the background. I thought I heard someone had been killed after a pile up at BSB. Is that right? Think it was at Cadwell.

Last edited by Kenzie; 29-08-11 at 05:05 PM.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-11, 05:05 PM   #2
Nick_69

Default Re: BSB Rider death

Unfortunately this is true, didnt see it myself but heard about it just before the last superbike race. RIP all our thoughts are with you and your family

Now GSXR 600 K9
Nick_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-11, 05:13 PM   #3
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Ben Gautrey.

Crashed at the bottom of the mountain and two riders following hit him unfortunately.

Crash wasn't televised but the aftermath was, Ben was conscious and moving but obviously badly hurt. Succumbed to his injuries.

RIP
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-11, 05:46 PM   #4
sv4me
Mega Poster

Very sad. Doubly sad to see how upset Ben Wilson was after winning his supersport race

Tinged with a little bit of anger too for me. All the talk this past week of footballers getting paid £60k a week, throwing their toys out the pram and saying 'my heads not in the right place' so they dont have to play, whilst trying to force through a move to a new club where they'll get paid double that for kicking a ball around........absolute scum, not fit to hold these guys umbrellas

*and breathe*
sv4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-11, 06:53 PM   #5
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

RIP!

Anyways here's the MSVR statement for anyone who can't get it on

http://www.britishsuperbike.com/MSVR%20Statement.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSVR
MSVR Statement: Benjamin Gautrey
On the first lap of the National Superstock 600 race at Cadwell Park circuit, Benjamin Gautrey fell on
the right hand corner at the bottom of the Mountain section. He was unavoidably hit by two riders
immediately following him, five riders fell in total. The race was immediately stopped.
Gautrey, 18 from Southport sustained significant and serious chest and head injuries, he was treated
immediately trackside by the BSB Medical Team before being transferred to the circuit medical centre
where further attempts to resuscitate him were made. All other riders involved in the incident were
uninjured.
Tragically he succumbed to his injuries.
Stuart Higgs, British Superbike Series Director said; "I am so desperately sad that Ben died from the
injuries he sustained at Cadwell Park. He was a really super young guy on his debut season at
National level showing plenty of promise having won the Thundersport GB Moto450 Championship
the previous year. It was entirely fitting that Ben Wilson was able to dedicate his Supersport win to
Ben .”
The full circumstances of the accident will be investigated by the MCRCB and the Coroners’ office
Issued at 17:00hrs
29 August 2011

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-11, 07:12 PM   #6
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv4me View Post
Tinged with a little bit of anger too for me. All the talk this past week of footballers getting paid £60k a week, throwing their toys out the pram and saying 'my heads not in the right place' so they dont have to play, whilst trying to force through a move to a new club where they'll get paid double that for kicking a ball around........absolute scum, not fit to hold these guys umbrellas
With all due respect... what the hell have footballers got to do with motor racing?
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-11, 07:31 PM   #7
sv4me
Mega Poster

Sorry, was on a rant and my tea was ready so speed typing in that Ben Wilson must have known his good friend was in a bad way before he went out for his race. He won regardless and was then given the devastating news afterwards

Also, the BSB boys went out and performed (for a hell of a lot less money than footballers) after seeing a fellow rider lose his life. If anyone had an excuse to say 'my heads not in the right place' its these guys. Doesnt happen though, they carry on regardless
sv4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-11, 07:49 PM   #8
brennan

Just heard about this, RIP Ben.

Must be sickening for the other guys in the race, unavoidable I know but still
Old 29-08-11, 08:48 PM   #9
Specialone

Yep, RIP dude, sad loss
Old 29-08-11, 09:53 PM   #10
MisterTommyH

Just heard that there was also a death at the manx GP. RIP guys.
MisterTommyH is offline   Reply With Quote