SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Mini-Twins Goto Minitwins Official Site

Old 01-10-11, 11:36 PM   #1
joolski

Default Supercorsa's - anything else on offer ?

Hi All !

I've recently taken delivery of my SV650, all setup ready to race. I had hopped to get a few races in before the season closes, so I've been visiting Mallory Park to try the little beasty out.

So far so good, times are coming down, and I'm starting to get a feel for just how fard I can push, and I've had some great advice from other riders in the paddock.

So, to my question.... from what I understand, as long as the tyres are DOT approved (you can use them on the road) they are acceptable in the mini twins regs.

I've been very impressed with the grip, and flexibility of the tyre, however I'd be interested to hear what other riders have used, just to see if there is anything else worth trying.

--Jools
Old 02-10-11, 08:06 AM   #2
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Default Re: Supercorsa's - anything else on offer ?

Supercorsas seem to be the way to go.
I would suggest Metzeler Ractec Interacts too however they don't seem to do a SV sized rear.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 03:41 PM   #3
rvracing

you could try the dunlop gp tyre , cant quite remember the code no,,,think its d211s i stand to be corrected, quite grippy tho
Old 02-10-11, 03:59 PM   #4
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

D211's are meant to be poor tyres.

Metzler Racetec front and a Pirelli Dragon rear works very well
Michelin do Power One's in SV sizes and they are vey good

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by andrewsmith; 02-10-11 at 04:02 PM.
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 06:15 PM   #5
joolski

Thanks for the posts chaps. Looks like I have a few options to play with !

Cheers,

--Jools
Old 02-10-11, 10:40 PM   #6
EssexDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith View Post
D211's are meant to be poor tyres.

Metzler Racetec front and a Pirelli Dragon rear works very well
Michelin do Power One's in SV sizes and they are vey good
Not that I've raced but my understanding was that the michelin power one is a female dog to warm up and so unless it's a very hot day you can end up losing grip if you're sat for a while in collecting area/on grid or after a red flag.

I've seen this several times with riders complaining about the front tucking for no reason or no rear end grip on cold power ones, which seems to be cured with a swap to supercorsas.

This could all be in the head, you never know.
Old 03-10-11, 12:11 AM   #7
lukemillar
Mega Poster

None of these tyres are bad... Just different.

Both the Michellins and Dunlops have really stiff carcasses and as such you run them at much lower psi than the Racetec/Metzeler type tyre.

I currently race a 400 on Pirelli slicks (SV sized tyres) and ran my 675 on Supercorsas and then Metzeler Interacts, but also did some back to back testing with a set of used Dunlops 211s. I preferred the Interacts over the Dunlops, but found the difference in laptimes marginal. People say "I swapped to tyre X and dropped 2 secs in laptimes", but I think that it is more of a psychological thing than a particular tyre being "quicker". Also, my suspension was setup to work with the Metzeler which probably had something to do with liking the Metzelers!

That said, there is a NZ national level 600 racer who regularly laps at near lap-record pace (even beat his own circuit record last month!) on Continentals which people rarely recommend, so go figure!

If I was to be completely honest, I'd go with the tyre that you can score the best deal on, set up your bike around it and then stick with it!
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 06:39 AM   #8
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexDave View Post
Not that I've raced but my understanding was that the michelin power one is a female dog to warm up and so unless it's a very hot day you can end up losing grip if you're sat for a while in collecting area/on grid or after a red flag.

I've seen this several times with riders complaining about the front tucking for no reason or no rear end grip on cold power ones, which seems to be cured with a swap to supercorsas.

This could all be in the head, you never know.
D211's/209's have rock hard carcasses and weigh about the same as a Roadsmart. The power ones depends on the compound; the A compound is soft and killable in a days racing. The B compound is a hard compound (possibly an endurance tyre)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemillar View Post
None of these tyres are bad... Just different.

Both the Michellins and Dunlops have really stiff carcasses and as such you run them at much lower psi than the Racetec/Metzeler type tyre.

That said, there is a NZ national level 600 racer who regularly laps at near lap-record pace (even beat his own circuit record last month!) on Continentals which people rarely recommend, so go figure!
Which continentals Luke?
There was an orger that did compete in minitwins on Conti road tyres

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
Old 03-10-11, 02:18 PM   #9
twowheels

does anybody run the Power Ones on track? i have two sets i was hoping to make use of? i stopped using them on the gix because that bike ate through them in a matter of a few sessions
Old 03-10-11, 03:48 PM   #10
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
does anybody run the Power Ones on track? i have two sets i was hoping to make use of? i stopped using them on the gix because that bike ate through them in a matter of a few sessions
PM Toot he used them on his pointy minitwin this year