SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-09-11, 11:42 AM   #31
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Brand preferences of gear

Quote:
Gloves: Spada WP Enforcers - highly rated everywhere, including here, the Medium are a bit too tight, but the Large were too big. Waterproof, but not too warm - biggest gripe is that they have a MAHOOSIVE cuff on them which prevents you getting them inside the sleeves of your textiles. Don't understand the point in that as, if it's raining, the last thing you want is your gloves over the top of your sleeves.
They are a big cuff - can't get them inside my leathers, but they do fit under my textiles (and snowboard jacket - as they're warmer and better than most snow/ski gloves which cost twice the price).

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-11, 12:37 PM   #32
tweakedtay

Currently riding with: M2R boots and Jacket, ICON gloves, 2 different helmets depending on the weather, Bell and OSBE, Joe Rocket pants on occasion.
Old 23-09-11, 04:29 PM   #33
Stuuk1

Helmet: HJC FS-10. Nice looking but does not fit my head well... Will own a Nolan N90 before winter hits.

Textiles: RST Contour plus. Cheap and good! The only part of me that gets wet is my belly button, which I can deal with. Has seen me through 2 very cold winters, bring on the next!

Boots: Daytona Alkon XCR. Awesome.

Gloves: Richa - Hipora. Had these three years, the threads are starting to go but they are great for summer and winter riding. Would buy again.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.217281,0.245304
Member of the 1 litre club...
Old 23-09-11, 11:10 PM   #34
rowdy

Only item I've owned worth a mention is a Vemar lid I had. Don't remember the particular model but had Simpson bandit sorta shape visor (which was its only downfall).
Superb fit and comfort, kept wind noise to a minimum and pretty much water tight.
Only problem was the visor would eventually break a retaining tab so wouldn't stay on. Managed to replace one visor but when that eventually broke couldn't get a replacement as Vemar had stopped being imported to the country.
Replaced the lid with a Shoei XR1000 which was about the only other lid that fit my head properly. This was a lot lighter than the Vemar but wind noise is far more intrusive and its impossible to ride in the rain with the visor opened to its first degree without it letting in water, which wasn't a problem with the Vemar.
Silver pointy sk3, tail tidy, single seat cowl, fairing lowers, smoke double bubble screen, carbon hugger and front mudguard, full race M4 system, K&N filter, GSXR1000K2 forks, wheel and discs, GSXR750 calipers, HEL braided lines, TL1000s clip-ons, Gilles rearsets, Chinese cnc levers, led indies.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-11, 11:16 PM   #35
beabert

I dont wear much bikewear, however.

I have had 3 j&s branded items, all fell apart. 2 jackets and kevlar jeans.
Old 24-09-11, 08:28 AM   #36
MattCollins

Shoei.
Sidi.
Motoport.

Knox.
Draggin' (Evo).
Old 12-10-11, 11:29 AM   #37
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Most of my stuff is several years old now so possibly not the same quality as current ones:

Good
Boots - Daytona, 10yrs old and still waterproof, lightly armoured
Leathers - Spidi, comfy (did a 1200 mile trip round Scotland this year) waterproof as a tea strainer though, had them since about '04 and just about begining to wear some of the silver off the piping.
Gloves - I have some lidl ones that I wear a lot, not waterproof, but warm and resistant enough and keep feel. I have some field sheer summer gloves which I also like a lot.
Textiles - Just got a Halvarssons Proximo Jacket and Lindstands GI pants to replace my previous textiles (see bad) will keep this updated.
Helmet - Shoei XR1000, Suomy Gunwind

Meh
FT boots - Pretty well armoured, summer boots but can keep a surprising amount of rain out, not at all comfortable to walk around in for any period (like at a bike show) got massive blisters. Writing has come off the bottom of the sole, but again had these since about '03
Helmet - Shark can't remember but got it in '03 lasted a while but the seatbelt style clip came undone on me when putting it on, bought replacement as it had a good innings but issues (see bad).

Bad
Textiles - RK entry level as didn't know if I'd be up for year round riding. Lasted a while then just over 12month old the zip on the flies broke. Got a leaky crotch and leaked in other places. Tried Nikwash and Nikwax but could not get them to waterproof. May as well not had them on at the AR. Tried again and got slightly better waterproofing but went out the other week in drizzle and within about 10 miles could feel the water coming through.
Helmet - Shark 500 (air, maybe) had to get something to replace my old shark, fit well and was cheap enough. Running up the motorway shoulder check caused visor to open by about an 2 inches and then close. Took it straight back and replacement was fine. Started doing it again back end of last year, so about 2yrs old. Speed related and likely due to parts wearing which could have been replaced. But this and the clasp on the other one have put me off shark a bit.

Ste

Last edited by BoltonSte; 12-10-11 at 11:31 AM.
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-11, 04:30 PM   #38
Gazza77

Been happy with both my Arai and my HJC lids. Leathers, best set has been my Scott ones. Gloves, summer is Halvarsonns, winter is Gerbings, although at present I haven't anywhere on the bike to actually them in to and i haven't exactly ridden much over the cooler months over the last couple of years anyway...

My Oxtar boots are good and comfortable for all day use, but they do squeak when you walk unless you put WD40 on them far more often than I actually do.

Some of my best kit is actually a cheap set of base layers I bought for use when winter walking years ago. Winter they keep me warm, summer they stop my leathers sticking to me.

Then Triumph Sprint ST with scottoiler and R&Gs & TOR exhaust

Now Benelli Tornado
Gazza77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-11, 10:21 PM   #39
hardhat_harry

Helmet - AGV Ti Tech its seen loads of action and is now due a change but AGV have changed their shell design so the new stuff doesnt fit as well, so its Shark next time.
Leathers - Hein Gericke superb for the price and also confimed good my my local leathers maker who rates them highly
Boots - Alpinestar Supertechs expensive but very good, full inner boot and massive protection, I believe the only better boot than the supertechs is full Daytona's, didnt get on with Sidi's.

Off Road Alpinestars Tech 3's enough flex to be comfy but stiff still enough for off road duty.

Gloves - Spada Aliens, so much glove for so little money. Also my old Scotts still work well.
Back protector - Hein Gerickes own, fits the leathers and textiles very well
Textiles - More Hein Gericke which has lasted years and works well but I do also have some Triumph stuff which I believe is Alpinestars

BAD Stuff

Helmet Caberg One Flip Up - Visor split up the middle, noisey, poor quality and naff not worth the £99 I paid for it.
Boots Sidi Vertigo - Zip Failed on a trackday, they sent me a new one but they were just over 12 months old sold and swapped for Supertechs.

Last edited by hardhat_harry; 12-10-11 at 10:41 PM.
Old 13-10-11, 01:06 AM   #40
lukemillar
Mega Poster

See, and this is why it is so subjective.

As someone who has now slid down the road a few times wearing the same set of Dainese leathers, I wouldn't agree. They have held up MUCH better than the set of Wolf or Spyke leathers that I have also slid down the road on.

Bought with my own money and definitely worth it.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote