SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-06-08, 09:20 AM   #1
Elky

Default Portsmouth to Liverpool with 1st time pillion

Hi all

Myself and the girlfriend are going to Liverpool on 26th July for her brothers 30th birthday. We looked at getting the train but its about £85 each! I'm now trying to talk her in to getting on the back of the SV and us both going up on that. She is very tempted but has never been pillion and I've never had a pillion.

I've been riding since March and have done about 5000 miles since and I feel pretty confident about having her on the back. I've sorted a helmet etc for her so we'll give it a go at the weekend and see how we both get on and go from there

The journey is about 250 miles and the main concern is being uncomfortable. If you are doing 250 miles with a pillion, how many times would you normally stop for a break etc? And would I burn a lot more fuel with her on the bike as well? Any tips you can offer me for doing this kind of journey? Longest I've been on the bike is a 40 mile trip so any advice would be great!

Cheers!

Last edited by Elky; 24-06-08 at 09:44 AM.
Old 24-06-08, 09:26 AM   #2
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Portsmouth to Liverpool with 1st time pillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elky View Post
The journey is about 250 miles and her main concern is being uncomfortable. If you are doing 250 miles with a pillion, how many times would you normally stop for a break etc? And would I burn a lot more fuel with her on the bike as well? Any tips you can offer me for doing this kind of journey? Longest I've been on the bike is a 40 mile trip so any advice would be great!

Cheers!
Well 1st long trip I did 2-up was 450 miles (London to Aberdeen)

With 250 miles, thats at least one fuel stop.

Its also about 4 hours minimum.

Would say just stop once an hour (depending on Service Stations) and more if she/you want to - every set of services would be a bit too much perhaps, but may be necessary.

Also allow for about 30 mins/stop minimum.

Leave early and try and get there before sunset - it gets pretty cold pretty fast.

In the mean time, get yourselves both out on the bike - try and build up some endurance/idea of how it will be.

Go for weekend trips along the coast etc, start with a trip to Bournmouth, thats 50 miles each way, then maybe up to Yeovil which would be 75 miles - if you time it right for that one you could even say hello to a bunch of us @ the Annual Rideout

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-08, 09:31 AM   #3
Elky

We need to get to Liverpool quite early on Saturday so would probably leave Portsmouth about 6am I would imagine so we'll defintely get there by sunset!

Was thinking of breaking the journey up in to 4 parts so we get a few breaks. Obviously would need fuel half way

Guess the best thing to do is like you said - get out on the bike over the next few weekends and see how we get on with it. Bournemouth or Brighton is a good call!
Old 24-06-08, 09:33 AM   #4
blueto

have a run down to brighton with her. Go up through worhting way. See how she gets on.

I have some love handles for pillion passengers if you want to boorow them? Miss blueto thinks they are much more conftable to hang on to.
Old 24-06-08, 09:36 AM   #5
Elky

I thought you were joking then! Yeah, they look like a pretty good idea. Will chat to the missus tonight
Old 24-06-08, 09:38 AM   #6
blueto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elky View Post
I thought you were joking then! Yeah, they look like a pretty good idea. Will chat to the missus tonight
be quick cos im in ibiza friday!

your more than welcome to em tho to use for your trip!
Old 24-06-08, 09:39 AM   #7
Baph

Just remember that when two up, you'll need to put more input through the steering.

When I'm riding solo, most of the turns are initiated by my feet, when I'm riding 2-up, handlebars do most of the work.

Also, don't forget to adjust rear pre-load for taking pillions.

Arrange a system for stops and turns etc. For example, she hits your shoulder to say "turn here" and digs you in the ribs to say "stop you fool, I need a pee and I don't think you want a wet back!"

Slow speed turning will be the biggest difference, but when you're up to speed, it's almost like the pillion's not there (don't forget to check periodically, or she might get a little sore about being left at a service station etc).
Old 24-06-08, 09:43 AM   #8
Elky

Good advice people, its appreciated. I think a trial run on Saturday is definitely called for and then see how we go from there. Weather should be good for it anyway!
Old 24-06-08, 09:43 AM   #9
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Just remember that when two up, you'll need to put more input through the steering.

When I'm riding solo, most of the turns are initiated by my feet, when I'm riding 2-up, handlebars do most of the work.

Also, don't forget to adjust rear pre-load for taking pillions.

Arrange a system for stops and turns etc. For example, she hits your shoulder to say "turn here" and digs you in the ribs to say "stop you fool, I need a pee and I don't think you want a wet back!"

Slow speed turning will be the biggest difference, but when you're up to speed, it's almost like the pillion's not there (don't forget to check periodically, or she might get a little sore about being left at a service station etc).
Oh and dont get too worried if she nods off to sleep.............

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-08, 09:45 AM   #10
Elky

Sshhhhh, dont say things like that, haha.