SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-09-11, 09:37 PM   #1
missyburd

Default Brand preferences of gear?

Has to be gear that you have worn (out) and would buy again, or currently own, wear regularly and think is great. A poll would have been good to look at the most popular brands but the max is 10 options which is way too few, obviously

I'm currently in possession of gear by Oxtar (boots), Hein Gericke (leather/textiles), KBC (helmet), Halvarssons (back protector), Held (gloves), Buffalo/Duchinni (jackets), Richa (Kevlar Jeans). These are what get the most wear anyway.

You don't have to list every item you've owned, ever ....just stuff you think is worthy of a mention because you are/were impressed/happy with the quality. Also if stuff you've owned has gone out of production then pop up what it was so if it comes up secondhand people will know. Also I'm not listing own brand like Triumph and Honda but equally if you have an opinion stick it in...

I thought it could be a useful thread anyway to newbies starting out buying kit and to appease my curiosity as to what folk think are good or bad.....
Old 22-09-11, 09:44 PM   #2
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Brand preferences of gear

Dainese-gloves, jacket or trousers. Always fantastic gear, good fitting and build quality.
Sidi boots, fantastic, fit, build quality and protection.
HG jackets and trousers, brilliant build quality and lives up to the hype of the selling blurb

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-11, 09:45 PM   #3
minimorecambe

Love my Sidi boots and my Hein Gericke leathers

Need some decent gloves though
Old 22-09-11, 09:47 PM   #4
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Helmet - Arai, done well over 40,000 in this now and I can't fault it. Will certainly replace it with another Arai.
Leathers - Furygan - comfy, well made rarer, and (imo), cooler looking than the fashionable brands like A* / Dainese.
Textiles - Hein Gericke Goretex - 100% waterproof so far, after 4 years of Scottish weather, a pretty fair test all in all.
Boots - Currently rocking a pair of Daytona's, far, far better than the A*'s they replaced.
Gloves - Haven't found a pair I'm 100% happy with yet, my A*'s were good but fell to bits fair to quickly for what they cost. The Furygan ones I tried on in the shop felt great, but aren't waterproof - I live in Scotland, non waterproof gloves are of no ise to me!

Is that what you're after MYC?

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-11, 09:50 PM   #5
DJFridge

Well MissYC, this is either going to get 2 replies or 200. So, current gear consists of:

Blytz boots, Frank Thomas "DriViz" jacket, RST gloves, AGV helmet and either Red Route kevlar cargo trousers or Armadillo armoured overtrousers (technically "scooter-wear") if I've got my tidy work trousers on.

Gloves and helmet are great, the jacket is new but seems alright (didn't leak on Sunday anyway), both trousers are good and the boots are what I could afford (although they are fairly comfortable and, so far, waterproof).
Old 22-09-11, 09:53 PM   #6
Stenno

Helmet - Shoei... because it fits
Leathers - RST because they were cheap yet reasonable quality
Textiles - Hein Gericke Goretex
Boots - Hein Gericke Shelltex which have been fine thus far but you get what you pay for
Gloves - some cheap ones from getgeared but which I prefer over the more expensive RST ones I bought
Old 22-09-11, 10:03 PM   #7
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMio View Post

Is that what you're after MYC?
That's exactly what I'm after, nice one James

Helmet - KBC, I have a small head and these fit me lovely, first one I had lasted 3 years and was still snug, I only replaced it because it took a knocking when I had a bike/banking interface so thought I'd better. I just got the same one and I still love it.
Leathers - Originally had a pair of SH Belstaffs which lasted 3 years then the stitching one one side wore off in an off so had to replace with Hein Gerickes, only recently bought but they fit me great too. Not waterproof though but they're not meant to be, that's where my walking overtrousers come in
Boots - Just bagged a pair of Goretex Oxtars for a staggering £30 off Ebay, only been worn a couple of times. Had a pair of Frank Thomas's before that and they were great (and I wouldn't normally say that about FT - the stitching on the velcro went within the first week of wearing but it wasn't needed anyway) and they lasted me 4 years and were waterproof till the end when one of the zips went.
Gloves - Never have much luck with gloves. Something to do with having small hands and manufacturers assuming women just sit on the back looking pretty....so originally had a pair of Buffalo's, comfy but not v warm or w'proof. Then stupidly bought a pair of Frank Thomas's new and the stitching typically went within the first fortnight so haven't worn them much at all. Now onto a pair of Helds. Comfiest ones I've found but the stitching has started to go so will have to get them replaced as only had them 2 months. Not overly waterproof either.
Back protector - Halvarrsons. Can't fault it, had it for 2 years.
Textiles - Buffalo jacket. Bought it SH off Anna on here, I still wear it 3 or 4 years later and it's still 90% w'proof (I've not re-proofed it either).

Last edited by missyburd; 22-09-11 at 10:04 PM.
Old 22-09-11, 10:17 PM   #8
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Good, bought by me with my own money and worth it:

Hideout, Arai, Sidi, Halvarsson, Daytona, Gaerne, BKS, Nankai.

Terrible, bought by me with my own money and not worth it:

Dainese, Alpinestars.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-11, 10:23 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

Helmet - Bell M1 and M2 prefer the M2 but both fit well and do the job.

Leathers - MTM Scott Leathers, good quality leather that feels like it will survive an off. had a bad experience getting them made but all in all good quality.

Boots - SIDI Black Rain, nice and comfy and were dry up until a cppl months ago. my own fault as i don't look after gear.

Gloves - they are all crap, some OEM kawasaki ones, Halverson's Safety Gloves nice and comfy and well made if a little tight, exo2 heated and a few others but they are all crap.

Back protector - some knox one.

over proofs - HG and i must say i like them as they have never leaked.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-11, 10:28 PM   #10
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post

Gloves - they are all crap
Interesting, I am coming to that conclusion too, really don't have much luck with them