SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-07-06, 02:08 PM   #1
mann650

Default yet another won't start, 01 650

Ok as far as I can tell through searching this is one that no one has had yet. I have an 01 sv 650s with 18k on it. 3 weeks ago it didn't start up on the first few cranks as it usually does. Instead it took about 20 seconds of cranking to fire. this problem is getting worse and increasing in frequency. I can smell some gas from the exhaust while cranking but don't know if it is too much or too little it is just there. When it finally does start it runs fine and even if I crank the throttle to see if it was flooded or close to it, it raps up just fine. It seems to be a problem if the bike is cool (sitting for more than 5 hours). This problem will come and go and is un-affected by enricher position or throttle position so I am thinking electrical but am not sure what may be causing it. Let the guessing begin...
Old 24-07-06, 08:44 PM   #2
klohiq

have you checked your plugs and wires?
Old 24-07-06, 08:56 PM   #3
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Does it need a service?Have you got a tankfull of **** fuel?Is the air filter clogged with crud?
Old 25-07-06, 01:23 PM   #4
mann650

the fuel seems to be ok because I haven't had any problems out of the other bike filled up with the same stuff on that day. I'm in the process of checking the plugs now and will get back with you on what I find. as for service the standard stuff has been done is there a specific service for this type of problem and if so what is it?
Old 25-07-06, 03:54 PM   #5
wyrdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by klohiq
have you checked your plugs and wires?
Definitely check them. Old HT leads can cause this kind of problem and are harder to check than plugs. If they've been on the bike for a few years, then I'd suggest replacing them.