SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-12-06, 02:05 PM   #1
Jimmy2Feet

Default has anyone tried this? does/will it work??

seen this on svrider, just wondering weather it will help in any way? i have a K&N air filter sitting at home that i plan to put in and get the bike on a dino when i have the money, but by forcing compressed air into the sv box will it help give extra power?? it seems easy to do but just not sure weather it is worth it or not!!!!

I cant add a link as there is not one as such!!!so i will paste the post here!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YOU WILL NEED: TWO, 2 IN.X 20-24 IN. PREHEATER HOSE, KRAGEN AUTO(OR ANY AUTO PARTS STORE SHOULD HAVE) AND ABOUT 30MIN. TO AN HOUR. 1ST. REMOVE SEAT AND LIFT TANK. 2ND. SHAPE ONE END(X2) OF THE HOSE SIMALAR TO OPENINGS IN FARING. I CUT A "TAB" OUT OF THE AREA TO MATCH UP WITH THE SCREW. 3RD. EXTEND HOSE AND BEND WHERE YA WANT IT. FLATEN THE END OUT (ABOUT 4 TO 6 INCHES) SO IT WILL FIT THOUGH THE FRAME.(RIGHT BEHIND THE FARING MOUNT). BEND/SHAPE UPWARDS TOWARDS THE AIR BOX INTAKE AND THERE YA HAVE IT, RAM AIR! I ALSO SUGGEST LIFTING THE TANK .04-.05IN.(THE CHEAP EASY WAY...WASHERS/SPACERS) I PERSONALLY NOTICED THE DIFFERENCE IMMEDIATELY, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME WITH ANY QUESTIONS AND/OR TO LET ME KNOW HOW YOUR BIKE LIKED IT. SA90DV2.

P.S. YOU CAN SEE MY SVS IN PHOTOS.

SHANE.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This info was sent in by Frank Nygaard Pedersen <Frank> about Ram Air:

Just some issues about Airflow (RAM air)

One of the main issues about the engine performance on the SV, is that it is not possible to feed the airbox with enough air, due to the free space up under the tank. A good simple solution is to raise the tank with spacers ore get more (non-turbulent) airflow up under the tank, with hose ore equal. Real RAM air is probably the best solution, but be aware of forcing pressurized air in to the airbox. The result can often be that the fuel level will be lover in the carbs., and give a much to lean mixture, again causing engine failure. If not knowing the more detailed knowledge about RAM air (there is much more to it than just pressurized air) use the simple solution.

Old 18-12-06, 02:17 PM   #2
Razor

I'd just raise the tank, that looks like a lot of work for little or no improvement.
Old 18-12-06, 02:21 PM   #3
Jimmy2Feet

so the addition of compressed air to the engine really doesn't do much then? i was going to raise the tank but then seeing this i thought that i would see if it was worth it or not!!!!
Old 18-12-06, 02:35 PM   #4
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

It'll **** up your fuelling.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-06, 02:45 PM   #5
carlos

For the love of God steer well clear of the hints & tips pages on SVrider The stuff on there is somewhere between total amateur and just downright dangerous. If you really want to increase your your performance spend the £££ and get something actually designed for the purpose.

Then again, as its a performance mod you will at least give the insurance call centre a laugh - "I've rigged up some heater hoses and jubilee clips gov".
Old 18-12-06, 03:05 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Stick a turbo on it if you want more charge.It will probably blow up though.
Old 18-12-06, 03:10 PM   #7
Viney
Mega Poster

In theory it will work, but then so does tank spacers. its the old adage of more air, more fuel + larger explosion + more power. However, just dont even go there with that from SVRider.

Tank spacers are the most simple way of getting more air in. That combied with a good filter, and jet kit, then, this will only be when the bike gets faster.

Just ride the bike on cold morenings...nice cold dense air. Lovely
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-06, 03:21 PM   #8
Jimmy2Feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs
It'll f*ck up your fuelling.
not if i put it on a dino and get her re-jetted,

but from your advice bye bye to that idea, and back to tank spacers!!!

but out of interest, tank spacers + K&N open filter, what jet kit would be the best to use??

and yes i will be getting the fueling sorted not just chucking it all on there and hoping for the best!!!!!
Old 18-12-06, 04:27 PM   #9
hovis

i bought some tank raisers off sombody on this site a while ago cost me £3 still not got them nudge nudge i cant remember who
Old 18-12-06, 04:46 PM   #10
Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy2Feet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs
It'll f*ck up your fuelling.
not if i put it on a dino and get her re-jetted,

but from your advice bye bye to that idea, and back to tank spacers!!!

but out of interest, tank spacers + K&N open filter, what jet kit would be the best to use??
Dyno? Could just be a mispell but I do wonder how the Flintstone's family pet was going to help...

Are you going to open up the K&N filter?

Most folk will tell you DJ stage 3, but depends on what exhaust end can or full system you're running.
For just an end can I'd fit 140-144 mains and run it from there.

For the record I've got DJ140 mains fitted with just an end can and K&N. I've got DJ144 mains in the spare carbs that I'll be tuning with my new full system.