SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-05-06, 09:20 AM   #1
Grinch

Default Hairy Moments

On the way to work this morning I was coming round a large roundabout that splits from 2 lanes to 3. So seeing as I was stuck behind 2 cars and a slow moving van/bus I decided to get past in the 3rd outside lane. Indicate, roll on power and move out, get past first car, brain goes 'whats that in road?' Start lining up to move past the next car and van while setuping for high speed flick round corner, brain shouts, 'that looks like sand fool'. Oh crap it is sand, and its a bit late to change position as I'm leaning the bike over for the bend now. So I relax (instinct I think), front end hits the sand and lets go, sphincter closes, bike kicks, finds grip again, and I manage to stand bike back up for the straight bit. Give it more power, get past the van/bus and pull in to carry on up the A31 to Guildford.
A bit of cursing, and a few why, oh why didn't I heed my brain the first time...

Feel free to add your Hairy Moment, maybe this can be the hairy moments thread.
Old 09-05-06, 09:37 AM   #2
mattSV
Mega Poster

Aah, that will be the roundabout at Farnham then I guess.

My worst ever moment was joining the M27 eastbound at junction 5. Caning it around the lovely left hand bend off the roundabout onto the slip road - front wheel hit a cats eye, knocks me off line a tad. Bike starts to drift wider and wider until I think oh ****, that is the white line at the edge of the road.

Carry on drifting until the bike is off the road in the chippings and I am officially off roading.

Stayed off the brakes, and backed off the accelerator. Managed to throw the bike back onto the road just before the armco started - looked at the speedo once back onto the road and I am still doing 70 mph

I tend to steer well clear of the cats eyes now!
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-06, 09:42 AM   #3
SVeeedy Gonzales

Day after I got my first SV, commuting into London and coming up to the Blackwall tunnel, noticing a half brick in the road and by the time I'd realised what it was and realised I'd got a target-fix on it, I hit it at 70mph, front wheel came up, engine screamed before it dropped down again.
Old 09-05-06, 09:51 AM   #4
Grinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattSV
Thats the one... they have just re-surfaced it, you can well get some speed down and right hand roll now.
Old 09-05-06, 10:00 AM   #5
rob13

target fixation moments for me. Coming down Birk Brow from Whitby and i got focused on the kerb coming out of the bend - it was difficult to steer away from it - missed by inches
Old 09-05-06, 10:04 AM   #6
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattSV

My worst ever moment was joining the M27 eastbound at junction 5. Caning it around the lovely left hand bend off the roundabout onto the slip road - front wheel hit a cats eye, knocks me off line a tad. Bike starts to drift wider and wider until I think oh sh*t, that is the white line at the edge of the road.

Carry on drifting until the bike is off the road in the chippings and I am officially off roading.

Stayed off the brakes, and backed off the accelerator. Managed to throw the bike back onto the road just before the armco started - looked at the speedo once back onto the road and I am still doing 70 mph

I tend to steer well clear of the cats eyes now!
Did a very similar thing getting onto the M27 at Cosham.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-06, 10:12 AM   #7
Steve_God
Mega Poster

Headed out on the journey on a very nice wide a-road that I know well, there was a broken down bus, thought nothing of it.
On my way back on the way route an hour later, I was overtaking a car round the sweeping bend to the left around 90/100ish (Kilometres an hour maybe? lol) roughly where this bus had broken down... suddenly saw a HUGE heaped pile of saw-dust that must've been used to soak up anything from this broken down bus on the road.
"S%*t".

Not enough time to go around it, straight though the middle, back end slid out, manged to grab it upright to stablise itself after a bit of wobbling, breathed out, and carried on :P

Moral to the story: Watch out for where there was something broken down previously :P

------------------------------------------------------------

Following my mate on his R6 on the way back from a ride out, we were coming down a Main A-Road with 3 lanes near Coventry way, that then split into 5 lanes, with the left 2 for going down the slip road to an island.
Mate points up at the sign (pointing at the straight ahead one) and accelerates... What he actually meant to do was point to the left one... as he accelerated to get infront of the traffic, and swung onto the off-ramp.
I checked there was enough space, and followed him.
Now - neither of us realised was that this slip road going down... also went sharpy to the right, followed by a sharp left!!!

So there's both of us, doing around 100 (kilometres per hour again maybe? :P) braking as delicately as possible to slow down WHILE banked over like buggery to get round this corner!!!! Lets just say my ticker was going just a 'little' faster than normal :P lol!

Moral to the story: don't follow your lunatic mate on an R6 unless you're a lunatic yourself :P
SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008
Steve_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-06, 01:10 PM   #8
Blue_SV650S

‘Well held’ by the sounds of it!

I bet you didn’t report it was there to the Police mind (so they can clear it before someone has a nasty)???

I am not trying to sound saintly, as … well I never report stuff like that myself, but I really should. We all should, we should be looking out for our bros' I suppose!!
Old 09-05-06, 01:31 PM   #9
silent

going round what was a nice roundabout last year but this year it would seem isnt....going in at a good pace tip it over get 2/3 of the way round then its bumpy (wasnt before) front lets go and slides....toe hits the floor (whilst on peg)...bikes front end skids and toe keeps the bike up for about 0.5secs...front grips on smooth stuff again...i carry on off the the roundabout nas normal only going about 1.5 meters wide...funnily enough i relaxed and though...dam...then the bike sorted itself out...it wasnt me! I then went to jhs and calmed down with the sv1000 lot that were there

Andy
Old 09-05-06, 02:13 PM   #10
Anonymous

Default Re: Hairy Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch
Feel free to add your Hairy Moment, maybe this can be the hairy moments thread.
For those who suffer from Hairy Moments......

http://www.shaveeverywhere.com/