SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-09-06, 06:15 PM   #1
oldjack

Default Which cables to wire accessories to ?

I have some heated glove liners and want to wire them so they can only come on when the ignition is on. I read in the 'how to' section that there are spare leads in the headlamp housing. Am I right to assume ALL the black & white striped cables are live with ignition on ? (K5 naked)

Inside the headlight and under the pillion seat is a cluster of black & white cables ending in a small white 15mm cube thingy with a black cover. Is it possible that Mr Suzuki has provided these for us to fit accessories to, or is this bollox. Could I connect one lead to this cluster and the other to earth ?

Please excuse me I am an electrical simpleton. Oh, it is a blue bike if this helps (the fastest apparently).
Old 01-09-06, 07:00 PM   #2
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Black and white stripes are earth.

Heated gloves can draw a lot of current, which is why they usually connect direct to the battery.

You may have to use a relay. The relay could be wired in parallel to the lighting circuit which would then operate when the lights are turned on. The relay would then connect to the gloves to the battery.

Doesn't have to be the lighting cct, just anything that operates when the ignition is on.

John

PS I'm not a professional sparky, so this is purely amateur advice.
Old 02-09-06, 01:30 AM   #3
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Have a look at the bottom of the list of the FAQ's and how to section of the main page. There is a fab link to a set of pics that make it clear as day It is specifically for Oxford Hot Grips, but the principal is the same.
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-06, 06:36 AM   #4
oldjack

John, thanks for reply but the link bluepete refers to says the b&w lead is live when ignition is on & brown is earth, I don't know who is right.

My main query is what are the little cube thingies with 6 b&w wires ending in them for ? Dare I open one up ? I could use a circuit tester to check if its on with ignition. Does anyone else know for definite ?
Old 02-09-06, 08:20 AM   #5
thor

You can wire earth straight to the battery, and the 'cube' (it's the fuse box) contains spare slots that are switched by the ignition. I have wired heated grips, cigarette lighter, autocom to that with no problems.

Getting the wire to stay in the slot is a bit tricky. I couldn't figure out to disasemble the box so resorted to a bit of metal bening and glue. Has worked so far!

A proper relay is the better way to do things though.