SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-10-06, 05:20 PM   #1
xrphil

Default tyre wear

I fitted a pair of pirelli diablo tyres, front has done around 2500 miles, and the rear which was fitted a couple of weeks later around 2000.
I felt that the handling improved dramatically, but started to feel a bit heavier/slower of late, looking at the tyres, I was surprised to find the wear on the front to be quite heavy on the sides, particularly on one specific part of the tread pattern, I know the centre tread acts harder, but was surprised to find this level of wear so soon, the rear looks fine, some wear but minimal.
anyone else had this?
pressure run at 36 psi.
Old 06-10-06, 05:26 PM   #2
Razor

I had that on my stock MEZ4 tyres, but the front wears more evenly since I beefed up the front springs.
Old 06-10-06, 05:32 PM   #3
xrphil

I`ve backed mine off a bit cos of our crap (eesex) rds, don`t know if that makes any difference. seems like they are just to soft on one part of the tyre. I enjoy twisties, but I`m no rossi, so didn`t expect to be replacing it in around 4000 miles.
Old 06-10-06, 06:48 PM   #4
chazzyb

I found this with a Diablo on the front, but as it was the only tyre I've replaced so far on the front, it may be coincidence. It wore flat one side! I found a potential explanation on the 'net that reckoned this happened to tyres, depending on which side of the road you drive on. The explanation involved how much further you drive banked over one side than the other. I didn't check the maths of the assertion, but it sounded sort of convincing - maybe. Basically, assuming an equal number of left and right hand turns, the distance you travel going round right-handers is greater than left handers. If you're positioning for maximum visibility on a right hander, you're out at the edge of the road. On a left hander, you won't be quite half way across the road, so the radius is smaller, hence the distance round it is less. The tighter the bend, the greater the differential between left and right handers.

It may all b*llocks of course. :P
Old 06-10-06, 07:47 PM   #5
andyaikido

I run my front at 33 psi and it didn't spoil the handling untill about 7,000 miles.
Old 06-10-06, 07:49 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I've heard a slightly different explanation.Driving on the left as we do you do more right handers than left handers because thats the way roundabouts work,and you also push the bike harder on right handers because they are safer than left handers.Get it wrong on a left hander and you stand to meet Mr volvo head on The other thing is road camber.Going in a straight line the camber of a normal road will tend to wear the right side of the tyre slightly more.Apparently it all adds up to uneven wear.
Old 06-10-06, 10:25 PM   #7
thor

Not only that, but the left of the road slopes to the left, to get the rain to run off into the gutter. That means the right hand side of the tyre will come into more contact with th road than the left.