SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-02-09, 06:24 PM   #21
pencil shavings

Default Re: error code c-42

I havent done anything with the switch gear, but it all works normally, I was playing with the kill switch today
Old 17-02-09, 07:12 PM   #22
Baph

OK.... I assume with the error code you're also getting the red light on, do you have "FI" showing in the dash, is it steady, or flashing?

From the headstock connectors, the black/red wire runs to fuse 3 in the fuse box as well as the reg/rec. That's the fuel system fuse. The other side of the fuse has a red/white wire coming from it to the ECU,LCD panel and fuel pump relay. The "stock" stock alarm also joins this red/white wire.

Take fuse 3 out, with the ignition on, do you have a voltage (should be 12V or thereabouts) when you bridge the black/red wire to earth using the multimeter?

The orange wire from the headstock connector is the main ignition live. If you didn't have this, or it was < 7V, you wouldn't get anything on the LCD panel.

The orange wire is connected to fuse 3 by the ignition barrel, and the headstock connector. If you don't have sufficient voltage at fuse 3, but you do have the LCD panel on, then the fault is most likely the headstock connectors or ignition barrel itself.

If you have voltage at fuse 3, but still no whirring sound, then check the fuel pump relay. Ignition on, test for voltage between the yellow/black and orange/white wires. Then test again with the red/white and yellow/red wires. When you test this pair, if the fuel pump jumps into life, suspect a faulty relay.

EDIT: I was just in the shower & thought I should clarify the last paragraph a little (I have random thoughts in the shower). I'm not saying that the relay will be faulty if the pump springs into life, just that it's a suspect. The ECU triggers the relay, so there could just as well be a reason the ECU isn't triggering it. So don't run out & buy a relay on the basis of the above paragraph.

Last edited by Baph; 17-02-09 at 08:44 PM.
Old 17-02-09, 07:24 PM   #23
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

The item circled in the above picture is the linkage for the secondary throttle valve. These are the butterflies controlled electronically by the FI system, not the primary system operated by your pinkies.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-09, 08:45 PM   #24
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
The item circled in the above picture is the linkage for the secondary throttle valve. These are the butterflies controlled electronically by the FI system, not the primary system operated by your pinkies.
Yup, very true. Primary/Secondary blah-schma.

I did say it was servo controlled though, you've got to give me something.

PS. Yup, I was wrong when I stated primary. My bad, I apologise.
Old 18-02-09, 07:47 AM   #25
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Pedant? Me? I'm hurt, really, I am.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-09, 12:22 PM   #26
pencil shavings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
OK.... I assume with the error code you're also getting the red light on, do you have "FI" showing in the dash, is it steady, or flashing?
IIRC the red light stays on untill the engine starts all the time. so yes, red light is ok, and the FI is flashing!

Im going to try and get a multimeter today, but noone wants to give me a lift there. If i can get the bike started, I guess its safe to ride? Is likly to cut out once its going, never happened before?
i will just leave it running outside the shop and get a shop man to watch it for me!! cunning!!
Old 18-02-09, 12:31 PM   #27
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencil shavings View Post
IIRC the red light stays on untill the engine starts all the time. so yes, red light is ok, and the FI is flashing!
I can't say this strongly enough....

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO START THE BIKE WITH THE FI WARNING FLASHING. EVER. FOR ANY REASON.
Old 18-02-09, 01:08 PM   #28
Baph

Right, now that I have a little more time, a bit more indepth explanation of the above post.

In the owners manual, the instruction for a flashing FI symbol is pretty much as above. It specifies to take the bike to a garage for inspection prior to attempting to start.

In the service manual (4. FI System Diagnosis - 4-14) it specifies that the engine can not run when FI is flashing, and the following:
Quote:
The injection signal is stopped, when the crankshaft position sensor signal, tip over sensor signal, #1/#2
ignition signals, #1/#2 injector signals, fuel pump relay signal or ignition switch signal is not sent to ECM .
With your fiddling, if you can make the FI symbol solid as opposed flashing, you're fine to try the starter (in fact, the bike will probably fire to life with a solid FI warning - at least in this instance). If the FI warning turns off completely, same applies.

In theory, it's possible to cause severe damage to the engine, depending on what's causing a flashing FI warning. As no-one knows what's causing it for certain, please don't be tempted to hit the starter when it's flashing.

Last edited by Baph; 18-02-09 at 01:11 PM.
Old 18-02-09, 04:26 PM   #29
pencil shavings

I cant get it not work anymore, I guess Im just going to have to use it untill the problem comes back?

The bike just starts normally everytime now. There is not error and no FI displayed

While Im glad, its abit annoying, because the fault hasnt been fixed, so Im abit cautious about riding it still.
Old 18-02-09, 04:34 PM   #30
ophic
Mega Poster

Is the bike not clever enough to disable the starter button if the FI indication is flashing?

And just to clarify - what flashes? the FI in the LCD display or the red light?