SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-02-09, 04:40 PM   #31
pencil shavings

Default Re: error code c-42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
Is the bike not clever enough to disable the starter button if the FI indication is flashing?

And just to clarify - what flashes? the FI in the LCD display or the red light?
umm, the red light was maybe flashing? I cant remeber now, and I cant get it to be broken any more either. I guess I will have to wait untill it goes wrong again
Old 18-02-09, 08:18 PM   #32
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencil shavings View Post
While Im glad, its abit annoying, because the fault hasnt been fixed, so Im abit cautious about riding it still.
You'll be fine to ride when the FI isn't flashing. Just be aware that it could cut out on you again.

The problem, since it's magically gone away, is almost certainly a dodgy connection somewhere. Primary candidate is the connectors behind the headstock.

As for the bike disabling the starter button when FI is flashing, that's exactly what it does. But what if there's a short somewhere (causing FI to flash), and that short bypasses the ECU programming & allows the starter to function?

In a case where you don't know what's wrong, I'd advise following the manufacturers instructions. Those being don't start the engine when FI is flashing.
Old 19-02-09, 03:07 PM   #33
DavieSV

I notice you have a tail tidy
check to see if the relay/fuse box is located somewhere with the cables pointing down so that water can escape
This was the problem with mine when I had an intermittant C42 fault.
I poured the water out coated everything in vasaline, reassembled & relocated the unit to allow it to drain & sealed all the gaps around the tail tidy with silicon
I've had no problems since

Hope it helps
DavieSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-09, 05:54 PM   #34
pencil shavings

I dont think there is any issue with water, there are drainage holes and I cant see any water marks or anything of that nature.

I just went for a ride today, the bike started fine, went and got a multi meter, went to start it and promblems again.

the red light was flashing and there was also the FI flashing as well as FI where the error code c-42 would come up if I was in dealer mode. I flipped the kill switch, and when I flipped it back up it worked again, no flashing red or FI and no soild FI. Started fine, rode around. Stoped in Henly, started fine again, rode it home no problems.

Does this help as to where I should be looking for the loose connection?
Old 20-02-09, 06:50 PM   #35
Baph

Quote:
the red light was flashing and there was also the FI flashing as well as FI where the error code c-42 would come up if I was in dealer mode. I flipped the kill switch, and when I flipped it back up it worked again, no flashing red or FI and no soild FI. Started fine, rode around. Stoped in Henly, started fine again, rode it home no problems.
It seems from reading the above that the kill switch has some important significance. Although I'm not sure why that would cause a c42, an intermittent connection could cause the red light to flash (I'm not sure if the red light should flash or be solid - that'll be in the PDF somewhere around 4-14).

Perhaps if the voltage is all over the place on the ignition circuit (intermittent connection on the kill switch could cause this), it would cause a c42.

Strip the RH switch gear & take a look at the connections behind the kill switch.

Have you had any joy with the headstock connectors yet? (I find my 4yr old son comes in handy!! )
Old 20-02-09, 06:55 PM   #36
pencil shavings

ok, i will strip that on monday (im in bath with the gf for the weekend)

I havent been able to do any more behind the headstock, I just cant get in there without destorying the wiring or dismanting the whole bike, so I will try the switch gear first, as that will be easier! I will check where you said in a previous post with the multi meter I now have, but have no idea how to use!!

love this learning how to be a mechanic malarkie!! lol
Old 10-03-09, 12:53 PM   #37
jamesobrady

I just had a problem with my k5 recently....
It chugged and cut out on the road at 11pm last sunday.
Was reasonably wet weather so i assumed it was the water/front cylinder problem again. (must fit fenda extenda i've had for a year)
A mate called out with his car,jump leads, and a socket set. Dropped the rad, removed plug cap..applied copious amounts of wd40 and cleared drain hole.... started bike....

And it revved to 3k and stayed there with a red light and FI on the dash until sputtering and cutting out....

Right...more wd40.... no change.

Bollx....AA recovery to home and a night on the beer with the mate.

Got at it today, swapped over spare ECU..no change.
Had a think....What have i been up to on the Sv recently.... Last friday a trackday at mondello..ended in a lowside. Have ridden the bike problem free 500km's since.
Had removed fairing last sat to check damage. One plug removed..which is likely to be fine as dash is working fine.

...decided that it revving to 3 k means its getting air somewhere...check teh airbox seal. lift tank etc...pull out airfilter...remove breather filter and ..oh...lots of white gungy ****e in there...thats not right is it.... Clean with rag, start bike whilst looking at butterflys to check them(they were clicking funnily) .... get face full of gungy white ****e from breather pipes....

Bike runs perfectly.

Voila...when practising lowsides, check the airbox after it.

Ps..AA rocks... 250km recovery and a hire car for 2 days all for 200euro a year.... sweet.
Old 20-03-09, 07:21 PM   #38
jamesobrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesobrady View Post
I just had a problem with my k5 recently....

Voila...when practising lowsides, check the airbox after it.

Ps..AA rocks... 250km recovery and a hire car for 2 days all for 200euro a year.... sweet.

Update: That wasnt the end of my problem.

Got the bike out the next morning to go for a spin...same problem.
Lifted the tank and pulled out airfilter. Turned on ignition and noticed the first set of butterflies didnt do their usual Whirr and stuff. They just stayed wide open. If I rocked the airbox they'd move.
Turned out the plug on the air pressure sensor was loose, which is at the rear of the airbox on the rhs as you're sitting on it. Took it off, cleaned it out, reconnected and FI warn and 3k idle problem gone.
Old 22-04-09, 02:39 PM   #39
pencil shavings

Quote:
umm, the red light was maybe flashing? I cant remeber now, and I cant get it to be broken any more either. I guess I will have to wait untill it goes wrong again
right, yesterday it happened again really bad... at the same place that it did the first time!!

I took the kill switch gear apart in the car park and it was fine. put it back together and still no luck. it just randomly started again after about an hour.

today it wont start again. flashing red and flashing FI and FI displayed on the dash.

looked behind the headstock again and there dosent seem to be any loose connections there.

any ideas

thanks
Old 22-04-09, 04:49 PM   #40
Baph

C42 is ignition tampering IIRC. So check the ignition barrel as far as practically possible.

Also check the fuse box, I know mine can get a little damp as I have an EvoTech tail tidy fitted & water sometimes goes where it shouldn't - though usually only when I'm hosing the bike down.