SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-08-14, 05:39 AM   #1
ManMango

Default Crashed!

I only passed my test 1-2 months ago and I have already come off (in the wet) I am so upset with myself because it could have been avoided. I could have done with being at 25 and not 35 mph. I could have accelerated a bit later out of the corner. I could have been more careful of the rain considering my stone cold tires. I didn't and I wasn't so I came off...

Even though the bike is my only way of transport to and from work I might just give this winter a leave until I am a bit more experienced.

I think I hit the white line on a two way exit of a round about. Rear slid out right and then whipped back to the left combine this with a big bump in the road just after loosing traction and the bike slammed down on the RH side. Slid about 50 meters or so. I took a tumble, rolled a couple of times and then went in to a slide.

In hindsight I was going to fast. Went nice and cautiously on the roundabout but I was accelerating out of a corner as if in the dry.

I am OK other than a big bruise/scrape down my right hip and an ache in my shoulder and ankle.

Damage to bike upon a visual inspection. These parts need replacing
- Both frame/bar crash bungs - Shredded/snapped off
- FRH Indicator - Smashed
- Rear brake pegs - Bent down
- Front brake lever - Bent down

Upon sitting on the bike the RH handle bar clip on feels like it may have bent towards the ground slightly. How can I tell for sure and can it be fixed?

Damage cosmetic:
Exhaust (completely wrecked. No leaks though so will leave for now)
Front fairing unit (scraped all up the corner not just surface scratches here...)
Jacket (arm shredded at elbow mainly. I would consider this cosmetic but will replace once bike is sorted)
Helmet (scrape down the back as I slid but no impact to road, will check internals out though.)
Old 27-08-14, 07:41 AM   #2
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Default Re: Crashed!

Your confidence always takes a knock after a crash. One of the main things is you know what caused it so don't beat yourself up too much about it. First 6months or so are always the most testing. I had loads of offs on all the usual suspects at that time, wet/ice/snow/gravel/diesel and of course too much throttle! I still ride like a little old lady in town in those conditions after 20 odd years.

You will not get the experience if you don't go through with it. And you will be more confident come spring time. Know your bike better, spot hazards quicker be that on the road surface or other road users.

I had a totally different mind set riding through winter/dark mornings & nights. Slow and smooth on throttle and brakes. Lots of short shifting and my SV never saw high revs for weeks!

Thats you a proper biker now anyway, believe it or not you will look back and laugh.

Keep on keeping on!

Last edited by STRAMASHER; 27-08-14 at 07:43 AM.
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-14, 08:36 AM   #3
ChrisCurvyS

Don't beat yourself up too much - the important thing is you've got exactly the right attitude in that you've taken full responsibility and have analysed what you did wrong.
Hope you get it fixed and back on the road soon.
ChrisCurvyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-14, 08:59 AM   #4
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Welcome to the club.
As long as you are OK that's the main thing.
Good to see you have looked why it happened, but don't over do it or your put yourself off and not be relaxed next time you are on the bike.
Old 27-08-14, 09:45 AM   #5
atassiedevil

You're upright and the bike can be fixed.
Also, you learned. And won't do it again.
It's a learning curve we all have at some point.

Ask on the forum for the bits you need, someone will probably have them.
Welcome to the club!
Old 27-08-14, 12:03 PM   #6
shiftin_gear98

Hope you feel better soon, I too crashed in my first two months of riding, hurt like hell.
Don't recommend hitting a crash barrier. I too was a bit worried about getting back on the bike, had to sort out a replacement first as mine was a right off.
Best advise I can give is to get back on it as soon as possible, learn from your mistake, mine was to think other road users have eyes.

Take it easy, when it's ****ty out there ride accordingly.
Save the hooning for when the sun is shining!!
Old 27-08-14, 02:18 PM   #7
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMango View Post

Damage to bike upon a visual inspection. These parts need replacing
- Both frame/bar crash bungs - Shredded/snapped off
- FRH Indicator - Smashed
- Rear brake pegs - Bent down
- Front brake lever - Bent down

Upon sitting on the bike the RH handle bar clip on feels like it may have bent towards the ground slightly. How can I tell for sure and can it be fixed?
If you apply a little heat from a small blow torch to the brake lever and peg you may be able to pull them straight again. You usually only get away with this once as doing so makes them a bit more brittle and they tend to snap next time, but worth it to get back on the road.

Usually with a clip on you can loosen the bar and rotate it to see if it is bent, but the SV ones are fixed so you can't. Try measuring vertically up from a point on the frame with the bike on full right lock, then compare it with the left bar on full left lock to the corresponding point on the other side of the frame. If it is knackered drop me a PM with your address. I've still got a set of K5 clip ons from when I converted mine to straight bars and you can have them for nowt.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-14, 04:04 PM   #8
ManMango

Thanks for your kind words, I am already looking back at it and not so much laughing but seeing it as a 'good' experience. I will learn from this and be back on the road in no time, I think my confidence would have taken a knock if there were other vehicles involved but luckily not.

@Red Herring. Good tips for the footpeg and clip on. Exactly the sort of advice I needed, I couldn't think how to measure if it was bent.
Old 27-08-14, 04:06 PM   #9
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

Part of the cause mate, glad you're still in one piece. You've crashed and will over-analyse that situation now...this is the time when you learn most about riding a motorbike! Just be sure get back on soon to continue the real world training!

To me keeping your confidence in check is probably the most important thing about riding, we all get a little cocky with the throttle from time to time and push our boundaries, just pick your moments better in future and you'll be alright

edit: missed your post, glad to hear it!

Triumph and Suzuki owner

Last edited by kaivalagi; 27-08-14 at 04:08 PM.
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-14, 04:08 PM   #10
ManMango

Upset about my helmet too it didn't hit the ground but the back got scratched as I slid. Checked the internals and no damage so now got a brand new lid with deep scratched down it xd