SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 05-05-06, 08:14 AM   #1
rpwoodman

Default Water pump on VW Passat

Anyone know anything about a water pump in a 52 VW Passat 1.9 TDi?

Mine has just packed up, but it packed up less than 4 miles after a big motorway shunt where I was rear-ended (the front was untouched).
I've been told the impellor sits on an axle and it had come off (could this have been due to the knock?), and to fix it requires the cam belt being replaced as well, as the water pump is driven by the cam belt.

Thanks
Old 05-05-06, 08:37 AM   #2
cuffy

Default Re: Water pump on VW Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpwoodman
Anyone know anything about a water pump in a 52 VW Passat 1.9 TDi?

Mine has just packed up, but it packed up less than 4 miles after a big motorway shunt where I was rear-ended (the front was untouched).
I've been told the impellor sits on an axle and it had come off (could this have been due to the knock?), and to fix it requires the cam belt being replaced as well, as the water pump is driven by the cam belt.

Thanks
It pumps water............................................. .....Grabs coat and leaves by the nearest exit
Old 05-05-06, 06:21 PM   #3
Anonymous

I know a little bit about water pumps, albeit a few years back, but nothing specfically about the Passat.

In ten years, I NEVER heard of a rear end shock knocking an impellor off! I simply cannot conceive the mechanics of that happening....and were it so, it would have knocked a whole load of other things off, too!

In ten years, neither did I meet a lot of cases where the impellor fell off by itself. What I did see a lot of was leakage through the seal causing the bearing to fail - then the impellor can smack into the volutes and get dragged off. If yours has a plastic impellor, there has been an odd case of distortion following water leakage.

As for replacing the cam belt: cam belts are usually good for something like 60,000 miles depending on the vehicle - often warranted for that sort of period. Everyone knows they can last loads longer but most manufacturers recommend replacement at that time to be safe rather than sorry. Plus a bit of revenue opportunity.

So, depending on how many miles yours has done since last replacement, it may/may not be a good idea to replace it. But unless it has been damaged when the water pump failed, in my experience, it is not a given that it HAS to be replaced with the pump.

E & OE!
Old 05-05-06, 07:07 PM   #4
rpwoodman

Default Re: Water pump on VW Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuffy
It pumps water............................................. .....Grabs coat and leaves by the nearest exit
Oh wow - you'll be telling me you get them on Passats next!
Old 05-05-06, 07:09 PM   #5
rpwoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Boccadillo
I know a little bit about water pumps, albeit a few years back, but nothing specfically about the Passat.
Thanks for your input - much appreciated.
I guess I was just unlucky. I got stung in the past by a garage and I think I've been bitter & twisted ever since!

thanks chaps
Old 05-05-06, 09:47 PM   #6
Speedy
Mega Poster

I work for SEAT,So I'm very familiar with the PD Engine,unfortunately there is a problem with the impellers breaking up on the later petrol/diesel VAG engines.(bad design) You may as well have Timing belt/tensioner replaced at same time,as the Front of the car has to be taken off/moved forward,and you'll have to pay twice if you have the belt changed at a later date,by the way belt change interval is either 40k/60k depending on engine code.

If yours is a TDi engine,(PD is a turbo,has a black plastic rocker cover under engine top cover,Tdi has metal!),Belt interval is 60k
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-06, 05:49 PM   #7
Treacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
I work for SEAT,So I'm very familiar with the PD Engine,unfortunately there is a problem with the impellers breaking up on the later petrol/diesel VAG engines.(bad design) You may as well have Timing belt/tensioner replaced at same time,as the Front of the car has to be taken off/moved forward,and you'll have to pay twice if you have the belt changed at a later date,by the way belt change interval is either 40k/60k depending on engine code.

If yours is a TDi engine,(PD is a turbo,has a black plastic rocker cover under engine top cover,Tdi has metal!),Belt interval is 60k
Yes im totally with you on that one speedy! I have done quite a few and found that the plastic impeller as came away from the shaft. When ever we do a water pump which is driven by the timing belt we always recommend changing the both.
Old 06-05-06, 07:09 PM   #8
Speedy
Mega Poster

To Treacle,

Due to a Cr*p design!

What was wrong with the metal impellors? At least they didn't break-up/fall-off!

Cost I suppose!

Do you work for one of the VW brands then?
Old 07-05-06, 05:12 PM   #9
Anonymous

Quote:
!

What was wrong with the metal impellors? At least they didn't break-up/fall-off!

Cost I suppose!
You get a better and more repeatable shape impellor in plastic....and potentially (when the tooling is paid for) they are cheaper. But to stop them falling off, you need to mould in a metal insert....which then puts the cost up!!!

I'm boring myself now.................
Old 07-05-06, 05:17 PM   #10
Speedy
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Boccadillo
Quote:
!

Cost I suppose!
You get a better and more repeatable shape impellor in plastic....and potentially (when the tooling is paid for) they are cheaper. But to stop them falling off, you need to mould in a metal insert....which then puts the cost up!!!

I'm boring myself now.................
Yep that would work!

Trouble is while they're breaking up and failing more will be made and sold............
which= ££££££££££