SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-10-03, 03:43 PM   #1
Ziguy

Default JHS stage II cams for $200

Here's the idea, you put your intake cams on the exhaust side and put '03 intake cams on the intake side. You end up with the same set-up as the JHS stage II (8.7, 8.1) You only to buy two '03 intake cams, $200 for both at ronayer.com

Now, Just need to find the correct timing. Somebody knows the JHS stage II timings?

According to JHS this set-up is good for 78 hp (with exhaust, filter and jet kit)

Here's the lifts and timings of the available camshafts for the SV:

99-02...........In = 8.1/107.........Ex = 6.1/99.5

2003............In = 8.7...............Ex = 7.3

Yosh............In = 8.8/105.........Ex = 7.2/100

JHS..............In = 8.1...............Ex = 8.1
Stage II.......In = 8.7..............Ex = 8.1
Stage III......In = 9.4...............Ex = 8.7 **

MegaCycle....In = 8.2/103.........Ex = 7.6/107.5
Stage II.......In = 8.9/101.5......Ex = 8.6/103.5 **
Stage III......In = 9.4/100.........Ex = 8.9/104 **

** Needs racing springs
Old 29-10-03, 08:23 PM   #2
weegaz22

Quote:
Now, Just need to find the correct timing. Somebody knows the JHS stage II timings
i take it that you want to use adjustable vernier cam sprockets??

if not then the setup should be the same as the 99-02 intake cam swap as you wont have any adjustability, if when you start the bike and it runs then you got the timing right, if not then your valves will stomp all over the tops of the pistons and cost you a pretty penny to repair
Old 29-10-03, 08:40 PM   #3
Ziguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegaz22
Quote:
Now, Just need to find the correct timing. Somebody knows the JHS stage II timings
i take it that you want to use adjustable vernier cam sprockets??

if not then the setup should be the same as the 99-02 intake cam swap as you wont have any adjustability, if when you start the bike and it runs then you got the timing right, if not then your valves will stomp all over the tops of the pistons and cost you a pretty penny to repair
Ajustable or not, it should be better than the double intake cam swap... With this set-up, you'll have 8.7 and 8.1 of lift, with the intake cam swap it's 8.1 and 8.1 of lift. By the way, the JHS stage 1 camshaft give you the same set-up as the intake cam swap. Good for 74 hp (with exhaust, filter and jetkit). So it must be good for 4 more hp than the intake cam swap.

http://www.jhsracing.co.uk/99-650/dyno/std_v_stg1.htm

FYI, right timing is more than an engine that runs!!!
Old 29-10-03, 09:04 PM   #4
weegaz22

yes but you cant alter the timing without adjustable cam wheels which is what i was saying, so if you keep to the oe sprockets then if the engine runs, then you have the timing right (unless you somhow manage to put it out by 180 degrees) if not vour valves will hit the piston and the engine wont run, the sprockets have 36 teeth, which is equal to 10 degrees a tooth, get the setup wrong and you will know about it
Old 29-10-03, 09:17 PM   #5
Ziguy

Quote:
... so if you keep to the oe sprockets then if the engine runs, then you have the timing right...
I agree with you on that...

My idea is to find the JHS stage II timings and, if needed, remove the sprockets and degree them.
Old 29-10-03, 09:31 PM   #6
weegaz22

why dont you ask jhs then? they can only say no, tell them that u are interested in buying their sprockets and that you are in canada and will need to fit them yourself and what degreeing to use and see if they give you the info you need, after you have it then you can make offset woodruff keys for the oe sprockets
Old 29-10-03, 10:03 PM   #7
Ziguy

Quote:
why dont you ask jhs then? they can only say no, tell them that u are interested in buying their sprockets and that you are in canada and will need to fit them yourself and what degreeing to use and see if they give you the info you need, after you have it then you can make offset woodruff keys for the oe sprockets
I asked them about their spec!!! But they don't give that information out!

It'll work without degreeing the sprocket... It's already know that the intake cams could be put on the exhaust side with the use of new marks. The stock marks of the '03 intake could be use since they will be use on the intake side. Could the timing be better, that what I will like to know.

You have experience/knowledge with timing?
Old 29-10-03, 10:22 PM   #8
weegaz22

the timing wont be as perfect as it would be with the adjustable sprockets, but in all honesty if you cant get the specs for optimum performance, then just use the stock marks, after all the difference will be negligible, especially on a street bike you wont notice the difference, the suzuki settings will be set at a line with safety and performance in mind(they wouldnt want the valves crashing and risk locking up the engine while their customers are on it, and no one would buy the bike if the engine was a complete dog)

i have engine testing experience which was running engines on a test bed and tuning them up if they were setup wrong from the factory floor( ie valve clearances not set right, fuel injection timing wrong etc) but this was on 400 and 500bhp truck engines, but the principal is the same
Old 31-10-03, 10:10 PM   #9
davyf

Can't you use the settings in the megacycle catalog as a guide. Surely you can get your original cam sprockets slotted at a local machine shop & do the maths for the degrees. Though I would question the 40 degrees bbc for stage 2 with S1 45 bbc & S3 47 bbc. It might be a misprint so they should be happy to answer you question. If you look at JHS you will be aware most of their stuff is over priced even for the UK some of it can be bought cheaper your side of the pond. Also I could not find ronayer.com .
Old 31-10-03, 10:28 PM   #10
Ziguy

Sorry, it's www.ronayers.com