SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-06-05, 09:17 AM   #1
CamScooby2

Default Low Engine Compression

Hi all,

I had my 99 SVS (24K miles) serviced recently and they ran a compression test which showed both cylinders down below the service limit.

The bike uses no oil, so I don't think it's the rings or bores, and as both of them are down it seems unlikely that there's a valve seat problem on both pots (or is there?).

Does anyone have any ideas on what this is likely to be.

Cheers,

Gareth
Old 02-06-05, 10:23 AM   #2
embee
Mega Poster

cr@p gauge, wrong technique, throttles not held wide open, battery low and cranking speed too slow, done hot or cold?

.......or knackered engine.

Was it done hot?
What was the cranking speed?
What readings did you get?
(what are the recommended limits?
edit - just checked manual, should be done hot, wide open throttles, both plugs out, battery fully charged, std=15Bar, min=11Bar, cylinders should be within 2Bar. Section 2-30 Periodic Maintenance for curvy types)

Unless it's significantly lower than spec and it performs OK and doesn't use oil and both cylinders are pretty similar, I wouldn't worry.

Why was it done in the first place, did you suspect a problem?
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-05, 10:52 AM   #3
CamScooby2

Thanks embee.

It was in several months ago as I had problems with it stalling. They said it was the carbs and cleaned them out and it's been running fine ever since. They just did the check, so I don't know if it was a marketing technique or standard service sir.

I don't know under what conditions it was done or the readings now (must check them up at home) It still seems to be pulling ok and doesn't use excessive fuel or anything like that, so I'm putting it down to your original line and not the second

I'm just giving it the once over - brakes, fuel hoses etc and thought I'd revisit the low compression side of it. May have to borrow a gauge to put rest the paranoia (however slight it is).

Gareth