SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-07-20, 06:43 PM   #21
gadget

Default Re: Now Germany is looking at bike noise

I was having a chat with a police biker about this at a bike meet recently and his take on it was this ... loud pipes are all well n good but they can at times be ott, in built up areas they attract more complaints (obviously) and as a result the inevitable investigations have to take place. The fact that the can may have a BS approved stamp on it is no excuse for noise pollution, therefore the makers will have to comply with whatever noise law gets passed. I said ... don't loud pipes alert the public well in advance as to their whereabouts? He replied ...yes but it's an antisocial kind of noise, the riders will just have to use their horns a bit more to alert other road users and pedestrians etc:! So I said... oh , so it's back to noise pollution of a different kind then!? He then got boredom with this topic, made a lame excuse and left.. go figure.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-20, 07:17 PM   #22
SV650rules
Mega Poster

This whole debate will happen again with electric bikes and cars.. where artificial noise will be required. IMHO good lights are the real key to safer biking, and having them on in daytime. As well as extra lights up front I have also fitted a auxiliary custom dynamics brake light which flashes 5 times when brake first applied and then goes steady.. should alert sleepy cagers I am slowing down.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-20, 07:07 AM   #23
gadget

Just thought I'd add ... I have a 99 curvy, zero performance mods except for a full length stainless Delkevic oval end can, it sounds no different (and I mean ... NO different) whether the baffle is in or out! Having said that, I personally don't think it's particularly loud anyway. When riding through my local residential area I tend to watch people's reaction to my bike passing and tbh... not many (if any) peeps even look. As I am biased I think the deep bellow of a Vtwin is far nicer than a four pot doing 60 million rpm in first.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-20, 07:18 AM   #24
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Most people would rather have Brian Blessed shout at them than Axl Rose.

They'd probably rather not be shouted at at all, but if they had to choose.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-20, 08:53 AM   #25
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
Just thought I'd add ... I have a 99 curvy, zero performance mods except for a full length stainless Delkevic oval end can, it sounds no different (and I mean ... NO different) whether the baffle is in or out! Having said that, I personally don't think it's particularly loud anyway. When riding through my local residential area I tend to watch people's reaction to my bike passing and tbh... not many (if any) peeps even look. As I am biased I think the deep bellow of a Vtwin is far nicer than a four pot doing 60 million rpm in first.
Noise is noise is noise.......... most non-bikers do not appreciate exhaust noise whether V twin or IL4. I used to work with a bloke who had a Aprillia 1000cc V twin with race pipes ( had it embossed on them 'not for road use' ) and worked shifts, so at 5 am and after 11pm his neighbours were subject to his bike starting up or arriving outside their ( till then ) peaceful houses ( and probably waking kids and adults up ) - he could not understand why neighbours did not talk to him...... talk about inconsiderate and selfish.. My B-I-L has a Yamaha Nightstar 1300 cruiser, took the OEM cans taken off and basically straight through pipes fitted, even his cruiser mates are shocked by how loud it is, can hear him coming 1/2 a mile away...

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-20, 10:56 AM   #26
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I can realate. Having my head torn off by the Harley guys that go past our shop a few times a day while trying to talk to customers isn't ideal.

My neighbour also gives me endless grief about a guy a few houses away who is always working on his 2 stroke bike and revving it for half an hour a time while he does. She's obviously too scared to approach him about it so I get general cloaked comments about "bikers" every time I roll a bike out to commute... which I leave on as soon as it's started and don't rev it until out on the main roads anyway, and even then I have baffles in or stock / quieter exhausts when possible. I find loud exhausts exhausting (#Dadjoke intended) when riding longer distances nowadays. Also promotes unwanted reactions from boy racers when they notice you at lights etc and immediatley want to race and buzz around you.

I do like a nice exaust note and always found the SV to be a pleasing rumble. But even as someone who rides I find some bike sounds ridiculous and sometimes annoying.

Last edited by Adam Ef; 26-07-20 at 10:58 AM.
Old 26-07-20, 01:13 PM   #27
redtrummy

Loud exhausts are anti social full stop. Living next to a main road you soon tire to the sound of a screaming 2 stroke or a baffleless anything for that matter!
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-20, 08:58 PM   #28
Chris_SVS

Loud pipes save lives
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-20, 03:26 PM   #29
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SVS View Post
Loud parps save lives

ftfy

---- you can definitely have a room on your own when we get the Barmouth BPW happening again in the future!
Old 28-07-20, 04:35 PM   #30
Chris_SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
ftfy

---- you can definitely have a room on your own when we get the Barmouth BPW happening again in the future!
Great
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote