SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-07-20, 10:38 PM   #1
guitar-adam

Default Indicator relay

Looking at putting some LED indicators on my '18 AL8.

I'm told I'd probably need to change the relay to make the flash rate correct. The one on the bike has 3 pins, but whenever I search ebay for SV650 relays, they're all 7 pin. Anyone able to help?

Cheers,
Adam
guitar-adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-20, 07:03 AM   #2
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Indicator relay

IIRC if you get the 'progressive / sequential' LED indicators without resistor (the ones where the LEDs light up in turn across the indicator - the indicators are paired LH and RH so that LEDs light up from centre of bike to outside of bike ie they 'move' in the direction you are gonna turn ) I believe you can just either short out the relay or bridge a couple of pins, as long as those type of indicators have power to them they will continue to work as the circuitry to make them flash is built into indicator and does not require power to be taken off and on by the relay, the handlebar switch just routes the power to the correct pair ( as it does via the relay at present ).

Most of the better quality 'normal' LED ones - ( where all LED flash at same time - like these Oxford ones) come with built in resistor to load up the relay with proper current to make flash rate correct. https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/241965

These sequential ones from Alchemy look OK and resistor built in as well ( link below ) - they rely on the relay going on and off at min 60 to max 120 times a minute to trigger the LED sequence, but a resistor to draw proper current is built in, so no need to replace relay. I am going to fit these to my AL7 ( 2016 ) as next project and I did email Alchemy to check that a 'dummy' load resistor was built in - the resistor is in parallel with the LEDs and draws same current as a normal filament bulb, which keeps the standard 'thermal relay' happy ( as the correct current is passed through relay it heats up a bi-metalic strip which opens the contacts, when contacts open load is removed, bi-metalic strip cools and allows contacts to close, current causes strip to heat up, contacts open -----etc. etc. etc. 60 to 120 x a minute ) 2 x 21watt bulbs in parallel draw just over 3.5 amps, which is what the resistors in 'resistor inside' LED ones draw - then everyone is happy. You can also buy in-line resistors to make load correct even on LED without built in resistors ( https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...ent_prod/73803 )

https://www.alchemyparts.co.uk/seque...-good-quality/

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 16-07-20 at 08:05 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-20, 07:12 AM   #3
Stratha

I fitted dlr progressive indicators to my curvy last year I found without the new relay they flashed way too fast, a work around if you can't find a 3 pin relay would be in line resistors, haven't done that myself but the theory makes sense
Stratha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-20, 07:15 AM   #4
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar-adam View Post
The one on the bike has 3 pins
Are you sure about that? I have the Suzuki service manual for the AL7 and the wiring schematic only shows 2 connections to the flasher relay.

This ebay ad shows a 2016-2019 SV flasher relay and it only has 2 pins.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-SV...9/333303643957

if you google the number on the relay FE246SH it identifies it as a late model SV flasher relay.

I see where some of the confusion lies - I found the instructions for the LED flasher kit for the GSX-S1000. It uses the same FE246SH relay as standard (on the SV) but Suzuki's LED relay has 3 pins - and they supply an extra ground wire to connect to the third pin. (I tried to link to them but it kept failing)

R&G sell a 2 pin LED flasher relay (listed as SV650 full faired)
https://www.rg-racing.com/browsetype...ed/RGRELAY001/

If you search for "2 pin led adjustable flasher relay" on ebay you'll find many more. I cannot say whether the LED relay requires the extra ground/earth/return to batt neg wire but since so many relays are sold without one, I'd try it.

I found this too - but you'd need to check pin orientation:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adjustable-.../dp/B07N2V6GY8

Last edited by Seeker; 16-07-20 at 07:28 AM.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-20, 10:41 AM   #5
guitar-adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Are you sure about that?
It turns out, I wasn't. Either my eye-sight is even more dog-**** than I'd realised or my brain is melted from too much WFH...

It is only 2 pins, which makes finding a suitable relay much easier!!
guitar-adam is offline   Reply With Quote