SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-09-07, 11:26 AM   #1
TheTemp

Default A rookie joins the ranks

Hey guys, I have joined this forum on recommendation from a friend when I told them I planned to take a direct access fairly soon. I have thus far only done a CBT (with no prior riding experience) about 6 months ago and haven't had the funds since to either buy a 125 or take the lessons further. I was hoping for some advice on a few things if anyone has the time.

Firstly, when I took my CBT the instructor told me that while I had done well for a first time, it was generally considered wise to take a few lessons on a 125 before thinking about booking a direct access or even buying a 125 as he said there may be bad habits I could pickup while riding around by myself which are easier ironed out earlier on while being tutored, would you agree with this? Should I a)Buy a 125 and practice before going onto do a DAS b)take a few 125 lessons and then take a DAS or c)just go for a DAS (I'm thinking based on my experience that this would be a bad idea, while I want to save money, I don't want to die).

Secondly, is an SV650 too powerful as a first proper bike? I've ridden pillion on my friends several times and have also heard a lot of good things about them, but also understand that it might be wise to take it easy to start with.

Finally, what do you guys know about the changes being made to the DAS and bike tests and when they are going to be implemented. I hope (based solely on money) to be able to take my test before this date to keep it easier and cheaper but wanted to have a better understanding of the situation as well.

Cheers guys.
Old 11-09-07, 11:33 AM   #2
cuffy

Default Re: A rookie joins the ranks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTemp View Post
Secondly, is an SV650 too powerful as a first proper bike?
Cheers guys.
Hello and welcome to the madhouse

Answer to your question...throttle goes both ways, just take it easy and don't ride above and beyond your ability
Old 11-09-07, 11:38 AM   #3
andyb

Hi and welcome to the mad house.

1) I did my CBT then my DAS a week later. The firm I went with lent out their 125 bikes for you to practice on before your DAS if you wanted, although I only took one out 2-3 times for about 30 mins each, IMO and from what I did I would think thats it's entirely feasible to go straight onto DAS.

2) The SV is a great 1st bike. I got mine two days after I passed my DAS and although I had a scary few outings (mainly due to inexperience) I would recommend the Sv as a first bike. It's fairly light, nimble and the low seat height make it great for beginners.

3) Not a clue

All of the above is only from the little experience I have . Been riding the Sv for two years now and love it though!
Old 11-09-07, 11:39 AM   #4
Alpinestarhero

Ok, a few things. Get a bike if you can, even if its just a scooter. You can still practise all those lifesavers, canceling signals, road craft etc. If you can get a 125, go for it It would efinatly help to have some lessons every now and then, just to keep you in good habits, but you dont neccaseriyl need it. I did a CBT, rode about on a scooter for a few months, then did my trianing - 4 days, and I had a full license. No prior training between CBT and first day of training either.

About the power of the SV - I wondered this too, but it was a non-issue as I did my test on a 125, so i have to ride a restricted SV until 12th july 2008 (two years from passing my test). You could go this route too, the advantage being that you will do your test on a 125, which is easier to ride and perform manouvers on than the larger bikes used for Direct Access. Although you will have to be restricted for two years to 33 bhp, which is about half the power of a full power SV. If you do the DAS, and find the bike is powerful, you could restrict it (easier with the "pointy models!) until your more comfprtable.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Matt
Old 11-09-07, 11:42 AM   #5
hovis

hello.

im led to belive the test is going to get quite a bit harder.

the SV650 is an ideal bike for your needs, i think a yellow one would suit you best

which i just happen to be selling,
Old 11-09-07, 11:48 AM   #6
TheTemp

Cheers for the advice people. As for the bike you're selling Hovis, your clairvoyance of my colour preference is quite stunning, how do you do that?
Old 11-09-07, 11:51 AM   #7
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTemp View Post
Cheers for the advice people. As for the bike you're selling Hovis, your clairvoyance of my colour preference is quite stunning, how do you do that?
tis the bestest & fasest

ask alpinestarshero
Old 11-09-07, 11:53 AM   #8
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
tis the bestest & fasest

ask alpinestarshero
Its the only thing me and hovis agree on. They are stupidily fast, my restricted SV outruns a gsxr

In neutral, engine off, rolling down the road at 5:30 am to start engines away from the house so not to wake immediate neighbours and my brother and mum

Matt
Old 11-09-07, 11:59 AM   #9
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
Its the only thing me and hovis agree on.

Matt
not true.......... i think you will find we agree on alot of things (top boxes not included)
Old 11-09-07, 11:59 AM   #10
Warthog

What's your name, son?