SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-12-17, 11:39 PM   #11
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: 2005 SV650s Valve Clearance Question

forgot about this but here it is now.

Intake:

Exhaust:

TIP: if you right click each image and 'View Image' you can the go to file/print page and it will print them out (in firefox anyway)

Last edited by Bibio; 16-12-17 at 11:42 PM.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-17, 10:08 AM   #12
egcSV650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy650 View Post
I have a few spare shims, if you tell me what you need, and what you have to swap, I will see what I can do.
Thank you i will have to take it apart and have a look

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
You need to know the sizes of the shims that are already in. When you have the table, you look up the current shim against the measured gap and read off the new shim required. Aim for the upper half of the gap range i.e. looser rather than tighter, but if it's in spec then don't both changing it. So, it's a bit of a faff as you need to take the camshafts out to find out the shim sizes first, then if you're going to ride the bike you have a fair bit of reassembly that's going to be undone when you get the new shims. Once they're right though they pretty much never change.
Brilliant thank you

Quote:
And that is the main/only reason you would bother getting a shim kit.

If you can have it off the road for a few days whilst you get the shims you need, just buy what you need. As Johnnyrod said, unlikely to need doing again unless you do big miles.
Yeah was thinking about the shim kit just dont have the money at the moment but my bike is sorn at the moment because of winter and ive got a car to get around so got the time to take it apart so all good i only do about 3000 miles a year max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
forgot about this but here it is now.

Intake:

Exhaust:

TIP: if you right click each image and 'View Image' you can the go to file/print page and it will print them out (in firefox anyway)
Thank you so much thats a big help, really appreciate that
egcSV650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-18, 03:32 PM   #13
egcSV650s

Finally got round to getting the shims out and going by the chart the shims go up in .05 but ive got some shims which are saying 172 and 178?

Also i TDC the rear cylinder but the sprockets dont line up where there meant to be for TDC. The crankcase shows TDC but the markings on the sprockets dont. Ive attached a picture, black marking is where the markings are and red markings is where they should be. Can i just move them round to where there meant to be or will this cause problems

(Wont let me upload picture as its jpeg)

Last edited by egcSV650s; 05-01-18 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Needed to add more information
Old 05-01-18, 05:25 PM   #14
andy650

The factory has non 0.05 shims, so they can set them perfect. Most bikes have non 0.05 shims in them.

Regarding markings, sounds odd, are you absolutely sure?

If you are sure, have the valves ever been done before - i.e has someone put the cams back in wrongly? If no, then the factory assembled wrongly, which is very rare.

My TL1000R had the cams put in wrongly at the factory, but it wasn't as simple as putting them back in correctly, I had to do some procedure I don't fully remember relating to turning the engine a whole or half rev or something, because there was an odd number of teeth. Basically the cams were half a tooth out from the factory. The symptom was the marks didn't line up, but there was no noticeable effect on the running, presumably that is why they didn't do a recall (someone I know who worked at Suzuki knew all about it, apparently a mix up on the assembly line and they were all like it).
andy650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-18, 06:04 PM   #15
egcSV650s

Oh ok that would make sense, so would i just round it to nearest .05 so my 172 i can do 170 and the 178 ill do 180 just as i need to order some shims?

Im not sure if the valves have been done before as i brought the bike with 23,000 miles on and now has just over 30,000 so it needed checking now. The best i can explain is the markings (arrows) on the sprockets are meant to be pointing at 12o’clock but there both pointing around 10o’clock
Old 05-01-18, 06:56 PM   #16
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Wow, that would be miles off. Deffo post a picture . Are you sure you have the correct mark on the flywheel?
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-18, 07:02 PM   #17
andy650

Post a photo of both the cam and crank markings, put them in the cloud somewhere and link if needed.

You don't necessarily round old shim to the nearest 05, just use the 05 shim that will give you closest to ideal clearance (ideal is the wide side of the range, the gap tends to close up)

Don't forget you can use the ones you take out elsewhere, musical shims if you like.

I usually have a paper plan of which shim came from where, what shim needs to go in where to get ideal clearance, which shims become free, and then work out what needs to be bought.

Thankfully the SV is only a twin with 8 shims, 16 of the buggers is even more confusing!
andy650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-18, 07:18 PM   #18
egcSV650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
Wow, that would be miles off. Deffo post a picture . Are you sure you have the correct mark on the flywheel?
Yes its on the correct marking by the crankcase

Quote:
Post a photo of both the cam and crank markings, put them in the cloud somewhere and link if needed.

You don't necessarily round old shim to the nearest 05, just use the 05 shim that will give you closest to ideal clearance (ideal is the wide side of the range, the gap tends to close up)

Don't forget you can use the ones you take out elsewhere, musical shims if you like.

I usually have a paper plan of which shim came from where, what shim needs to go in where to get ideal clearance, which shims become free, and then work out what needs to be bought.

Thankfully the SV is only a twin with 8 shims, 16 of the buggers is even more confusing!
Im not sure why its not letting me post a picture as there in the correct format but keeps saying its not. Yes was thinking about using other ones if they are the right size. Yes ive dont a paper plan aswell makes things easier. Is there any other way of posting pictures up
Old 05-01-18, 10:51 PM   #19
Dave-the-rave

Something to be aware of here. There's two procedures for setting crank position. One for checking the valves and another for adjusting the valves. They're not the same.
Old 05-01-18, 11:20 PM   #20
egcSV650s

I was not aware of that. What are the different procedures?